What good form when it comes to Bull***t?

skyhuck

I am somewhat new to the world forums and as such am a little naive with regard to protocol and good form.

Since finding this site I have gone back and read most of the old threads and keep up to date with new threads,I have found that as you read different members posts you get an idea of their work situation,firm size,experience etc.And the more experience,etc,that people have the more weight the advice carry's,IMO,and this resource of shared knowledge and experience is a fantastic aid to our working lives.

But I have also noticed that on occasion a member will put up a post containing information that totally contradicts information in an earlier post,such as number of staff,vehicles,chippers,etc,or years of experience,to name a few.

I find this very annoying as persons reading that post without reading the earlier one may give the advice more credence than it deserves as they think that that member is doing very well so there advice will really help them.

But I also find it annoying as I dislike dishonesty!

I know I am not the only one to have noticed this,but what tends to happen is the people do not refer to the contradiction,they may make sarcastic comments that then tend to turn into a slanging match which helps no one and those who are unaware of the contradictions think someone is being picked on.

So what I need to know is,is it "bad form" to simply point out to the offender that what they have put contradicts an earlier post and as such they are either lying now or were lying then. Or should you simply ignore it and move on?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if im honest i dont think it would be considered bad form.

from my POV as a complete novice, a lot of the questions that I find myself asking are pertinant to keeping myself and others safe whilst I am aloft. Now, the internet, as wonderful an entity it is, gives everyone who has it cart blanche to post absolute crap and there will be people taking it as gospel

so in situations like that, im pleased that there are so many guys able to 'moderate' the responses with their own experience and higher knowledge.

(NB tree climbing and aerial rescue booked for 27th-30th May so be expecting loads more questions in the mean time)

As for the rest of the time, I tend to try and ignore it. most forums ive used are cliquey and there are a few demi-trolls who just seem to have a knack for getting everyone's backs up either intentionally or not. but from my point of view, this forum is less like that than others. there are groups of friends, but of course there are. Personally Id rather use this place as a springboard to gain knowledge remotely and allow me to make those friendships in the real world so that I may learn more from you guys who I look up to (pardon the pun)

maybe such things are best brought into the open, but that may well cause more conflict than the snide remarks.

I tend to take most things i read on forums with a pinch of salt. Use opinions as a tool to formulate your own, but always have your own.

Jim

Every forum I have used in the past will publish a list of those who services are used to moderate....this forum does not.I think this is a mistake and detracts from the transparency of the medium which I believe is what leads to problems and slanging episodes...as for the bull****...I guess your on your own!

Skyhuck, I think those who are, let's say, a little liberal with the truth, tend to be in the minority, just as they are in any walk of life. You know the thing, i the pub, each arborist boasting about the 150foot apple tree he took 5mins to strip out and fell, each one having the best 4x4, chipper, and so on. I really dont care what others SAY they have, the proof is in the pudding. This is a relatively small industry, and the internet makes it a very small world. Sooner or later we see the truth emerge about people. If someones good at what they do, then word will travel, if they are bad, it travels quicker.

As for whether or not someone should be modded for lying, I dont think so, let them show themselves up, for the whole world to see.

My profile, Countywide Tree Company, 1 full time groundie, 2 subbies, 1 lorry, 1 tractor, 2 stump grinders, I chipper,3 trailers, lots of smaller other stuff

22 years experience exactly..............

My new venture Arbor Aeration, 1 600l spray/deep root fert rig, 1 soil decompactor, 1 soil-pick..

Skyhuck, I think those who are, let's say, a little liberal with the truth, tend to be in the minority, just as they are in any walk of life. You know the thing, i the pub, each arborist boasting about the 150foot apple tree he took 5mins to strip out and fell, each one having the best 4x4, chipper, and so on. I really dont care what others SAY they have, the proof is in the pudding. This is a relatively small industry, and the internet makes it a very small world. Sooner or later we see the truth emerge about people. If someones good at what they do, then word will travel, if they are bad, it travels quicker.

As for whether or not someone should be modded for lying, I dont think so, let them show themselves up, for the whole world to see.

Exactly Andy, It's amazing who reads these forums but never posts I am constantly coming across people who have read and seen my posts.

Those full of C**p will fall by their own accord skyhuck, just ignore them !