Near miss.

Jon Lad

A tree surgeon based not too far away from me bought a new chipper some years back. I'm not going to say which make of chipper or the dealer who supplied it. They took the machine to a job, first time out. Started it up and began chipping. After it had been running a while, there was this massive bang and one of the knives came through the top of the housing.

They turned the machine off and were checking out the damage, when this builder who had been working on some scaffolding next door came round carrying the chipper blade. He said he had heard it come past him on the scaffold and then embed itself in the lawn of next door's garden, sticking up out of the ground. The woman who lived next door was gardening in the back garden at the time, but wasn't aware of what had gone on.

Has anyone else heard of anything similar happening?

we had a Premier which some idiot put a scaffold bar through, the blades and the bar shreeded up and came out of the spout like bomb shrapnel

But at least with a Premier (schiesling) the blade will not come through the housing, so it no where near as dangerous.

IMO all chipper housings should be strong enough to stop a failed blade.

Yep, ive heard of blades failing. Which is why it makes me cringe when i see people people shoveling chip infront the spout whilst the chippers running.

Although i guess in most of these cases its coming through the housing, but if it was to come out of the spout and it was to hit the person shoveling chip they would sure know about it!

In my Local Authority days our employer didn’t deem us competent to change the chipper blades, their fitters had to do that.

I collected the chipper from the workshops, took it to a jobsite and turned the key to start chipping. It made a “clunk” and wouldn’t turn. We found an allen key under the blade stopping the flywheel from turning.

Turns out this was a good thing since all three 10” blades were only finger tight.

Now that would have been “murder death kill”