Towing restrictions

John Hancock

the promblem i have is that i past my car test about ten years ago and you can pick up alot of bad habbits in that time i think the test dont have much to do with the trailer its mainly just about your driving.

I was in the same boat when I did mine. and your right alot is about general driving. look for markers on the floor to gauge lengths for reversing and recoupling

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead right Matt.

Remember, the only figure that matters is the MAM. Maximum Authorised Mass, ie what it says on the plate.

You could be towing an empty 2 tonne trailer with a 3.5 tonne truck, and even though the combined weight may only be say 4 tonnes, you are still exceeding the limitations of your cat B licence.

Dont believe any of the bull your employers will tell you to get you to do what they want you to, find out for yourself how the law stands, and stick to it. Your driving license is your livelihood, even if your employer pays the fines, you still get the points.

It is high time that all this stuff is dragged out of the cupboard and made public knowledge.

Another great post Peter.

Just for a heads up, has anyone here sat the B+E recently and could spend a couple of mins writing down some of the points on the test. I have been towing since i was 17 and am now 29 and never really had the licence to tow larger trailers and i refuse to pay someone to teach me to suck eggs, what do i have to pretend to do to keep the fatman in the assessment seat happy on my test? There is bound to be some silly order to uncouple etc etc.

Any help would be good!

They do explain what they want on the test, so in theory you could pass it without any tuition beforehand.

However, they do expect a very high standard. The same as the class one hgv test really, so I still say its worth getting some instruction first.

Well worth doing, as if you get pulled towing, its the easiest conviction in the world, driving without a licence, 11 points, thanks very much. The law has been in force for ten years now, so there is no leeway anymore, everyone should know about it.

I wouldn't attemp going through this test without a trainer.

For a start they can give you tips to do things the easy way therefore increasing your chances of passing first time.

I think it cost me in the region of £500.00 incl test for a two day course to put someone through and they passed with no problems and they had never pulled a trailer before.

No offence but don't take that attitude to the test. You have to drive to the standard required to pass any other test driving test. Keep a cool head, and drive well on the road and yep the manouvers are simple again reversing is ok be wary of the un/recouple

sorry maybe piss easy was a bit too casual of me, but i was quoting the instructer i had for my rigid test, which is why i wrote apparantly at the end as i, myself have not done B+E :001_smile:

i know 5 that failed first time3 that failed second time and 2 that did not take it again

and only 1 that passed first time

supposably worse than hgv

TBH IMO save a little more and do the full HGV

and then your sorted and if ever short of work go agency driving

After reading some of these posts I thought I'd check my licence...old paper and haven't got round to changing it.

I passed normal car and bike tests...er quite a few years ago but licence shows entitlement for 7500k plus trailer to total of 12000k.

Oh god...is this known as Grandfather rights!!!!

After reading some of these posts I thought I'd check my licence...old paper and haven't got round to changing it.

I passed normal car and bike tests...er quite a few years ago but licence shows entitlement for 7500k plus trailer to total of 12000k.

Oh god...is this known as Grandfather rights!!!!

Me too mate :001_tt1:

Don't let them take it of you and give you a plastic one limited to 8400Kg.