Towing restrictions

John Hancock

Can anyone enlighten me on this? I have a full licence with all categories: A-E, If I am towing my Bandit 90Xp with my 110 Landy do I need an operators licence and if so what is it and how do I get one?

Below Taken from the transport office

Exemption legislation

Most of the exemptions are outlined below in a simplified summary format. For definitive information you should consult Schedule 3 to the Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995 (S/I number 1995/2869).

Dual purpose vehicles (eg Land Rovers) & their trailers. Includes Range Rovers, Jeeps, certain Japanese vehicles and those designed to go over rough ground as well as on roads. NOTE: All dual purpose vehicles must not exceed 2040 kg in unladen weight.

More Info Here

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have my paper pre 97 licence if i change it to a photo one will i loose any of my rights?

if you got your original paper licence from between mid 1988 and early 1991 and it has no C1+E GTW listed on it or category restriction for C1+E with respect to GTW of the combination or the E element, don’t send you licence to the DVLA,

as in 98 the DVLA will have put category restriction 107 (GTW 8250kg) on there computer so if/when you send your licence it will get put on your licence, drivers from this period had up to 1992 to clime 12000kg GTW grandfather rights however the DVLA never told anyone of this by letter, so if you do fit in the above 1988 - 1991 category you will need to contact the DVLA & demand they remove the CR107 from there computer witch they illegally placed on it to give you at lest your 12000kg right.

in the EU at the time the GTW for C1+E was 17500kg, (7500kg truck + 10000kg trailer - single axel or twin axel close coupled [>1m axel spread])

i am part way threw doing the above my self, doh

I hate all these towing restrictions. I'm trying to find a place to do my B+E training and test, since the first place i tried to do it with has gone under. I'm doing it at 3 counties training are they any good?

Also with the 3500kg+ 750kg trailer thing. Does that mean you can have a total mam of 4.25T or a trailer weighing 750kg but the combination of trailer and vehicle must not exceed 3500.

Thanks

Andy

I hate all these towing restrictions. I'm trying to find a place to do my B+E training and test, since the first place i tried to do it with has gone under. I'm doing it at 3 counties training are they any good?

Also with the 3500kg+ 750kg trailer thing. Does that mean you can have a total mam of 4.25T or a trailer weighing 750kg but the combination of trailer and vehicle must not exceed 3500.

Thanks

Andy

In simple terms yes andy you can drive a 3500kg gross truck with a 750kg trailer = 4250kg Gross train weight.

On a Cat B licence passed after the 1/1/97 I can tell you that you are totally allowed to drive a vehicle upto a gross weight of 3500kg and a trailer/chipper upto 750kg = gross train weight of 4250kg. This isn't hear say or told by a mate blah blah. Its clearly stated on the DVLA web page,