chipper size?

Stihlwatersrundeep

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello D,

Nice looking Rig you have there.

The Loadhandler looks pretty useful in the vid.

How long have you been using it for, and do you off load timber as well as chip?

If so does this cause excessive wear?

Thanks

David

David, we have had the unit since it came out in 1993 or 1994. The drag sheets are replaceable and generally go through two a year but the frame is the original one. (I think the sheets run about $20 here.) Logs unload as easy or easier than the chips. Though you definitely have to watch your toes! We keep thinking about going to a more elaborate setup but this works so well we can't bring ourselves to go to the expense.

David Mc

• 11 months later...
Was having a chat with a local tree chap discussing chipper sizes and he got me thinking?

I gather a 5" or 6" chipper is the norm . But he said why go above 3" as you can sell 4" wood as firewood ?

makes sense or not? 1. the chipper is cheaper and 2. you can produce more firewood , (more firewood = more bucks?)

timberwolf 125 ,honda v twin 650cc, 5'' max, handles leylandi ok, throughput 2ton/hour,& you can 1man pull it around on grass,used mine hard 4 2 years no worries...keep ya blades sharp, warm her up before work, & let her cool 4 a minute before shutdown. pig to reverse though as short trailer!

take some car ramps and drive the front wheels up so the chip slides out better :wave:

...And if there's any problem getting the chip accurately into the back in the first place or you want to stack the front of the pickup back more reverse the pickup up the ramps to do the chipping. Works a treat.

Well i dropped off some full loads to a local farmer and filled ton seed bags...it holds four and a half of those:scared:... I cant think of the exact size at the mo but wouldnt want it any bigger!!!

Just picked up om this thread- you guys with jap stuff, esp those hi-luxes need to be extremely careful when towing 6" chippers without any weight in the truck, let alone fully laden with high sides and chip- vosa will take you to the cleaners for overloading like that! I dont know what the newer ones are like, but the model in the pic with the chipper attached must be just about up to, if not over, gross train weight with a couple of guys and equipment. Down here they are overzealous to say the least! :scared1:

Just picked up om this thread- you guys with jap stuff, esp those hi-luxes need to be extremely careful when towing 6" chippers without any weight in the truck, let alone fully laden with high sides and chip- vosa will take you to the cleaners for overloading like that! I dont know what the newer ones are like, but the model in the pic with the chipper attached must be just about up to, if not over, gross train weight with a couple of guys and equipment. Down here they are overzealous to say the least! :scared1:

I also have a transit tipper that does the road work....the hilux does the off road and smaller jobs, i know what you're saying though, i try to use that set up as little as possible on the road

having said that though the old Hi-lux pulls it a treat.....with your truckman top you will have trouble getting in to shovel the chips out...mine is open on top...you would get very hot too as the chips heat up...a grain shovel makes the job easier...or my mates tipper lol :icon14:

Husky King We used to have a hilux . The way we used to get the chip off the back was to get a measured piece of 1/2 inch ply and cut two holes in it either side then tie some rope to the holes . Place the board at the back of the head board fill with chip then tie the rope attached to the board to a tree drop tail board then pull forward . hope this makes sense .:001_smile: