Buff- so long old friend......

My heartfelt sympathies on your loss. I had to make the same bloody awful decision with one of mine in '08 when her kidneys packed up. I salute you for having the guts to do what was best for Buff.

Says it all for me. We also had to put down our old english sheep dog Sarah Snowdrop with collapsed hips in 08. We buried here in here own raised bed and planted snowdrops which have been wonderful this year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry tommer, its a hard thing to do but it is as my boss said the last kindness we can give them, and it is a kindness, even if it feels like far from it for a while.

Im still asking myself if i did the right thing, even knowing full well I did right by him, it takes a lot of heart to do it.

Its always hard to play God ... just before Christmas I noticed both of my horses heads up in the field looking into my bottom field so I wandered down to see what they were looking at, the mare turned her head and her eye appeared to be hanging on her cheek ( it turned out that it wasnt her eye hanging out but it was a total mess ) she had been diagnosed with cushings 5 years earlier and the vet was ready to put her down then but I nursed her back to health by shouting at her to make her turn over to stop the bed sores .. holding her head up to drink and it gave her 5 more years... she was taken to the vets and when I got the phone call to say that it would be kindest to put her down I just pulled into a car park and sobbed my socks off and couldnt talk about it with anyone for a couple of weeks because I knew I would choke up .... and she was my x`s horse that I kept for her when we split... christ knows what I will be like when the time comes for Ben my horse who is 26 and been with me for 22 years ( 17.2 Hanovarien thoroughbred cross who you dont mess with :001_smile:) and me and him have had many adventures out in the forests around Sherwood forest.... like I said its always hard to play god but no doubt its the kindest thing to do.

Its always hard to play God ... just before Christmas I noticed both of my horses heads up in the field looking into my bottom field so I wandered down to see what they were looking at, the mare turned her head and her eye appeared to be hanging on her cheek ( it turned out that it wasnt her eye hanging out but it was a total mess ) she had been diagnosed with cushings 5 years earlier and the vet was ready to put her down then but I nursed her back to health by shouting at her to make her turn over to stop the bed sores .. holding her head up to drink and it gave her 5 more years... she was taken to the vets and when I got the phone call to say that it would be kindest to put her down I just pulled into a car park and sobbed my socks off and couldnt talk about it with anyone for a couple of weeks because I knew I would choke up .... and she was my x`s horse that I kept for her when we split... christ knows what I will be like when the time comes for Ben my horse who is 26 and been with me for 22 years ( 17.2 Hanovarien thoroughbred cross who you dont mess with :001_smile:) and me and him have had many adventures out in the forests around Sherwood forest.... like I said its always hard to play god but no doubt its the kindest thing to do.

Horses, Hawks, and Dogs, we have a unique and ancient bond with these animals, a natural and very deep bond, thanks for sharing, I am learning a lot about some of you through these posts. There is a lot of good folk around here:thumbup:

i bet riding through Sherwood on your stead is awsome.

when my grandad died, a few days earlier when he knew he wasnt well, he said when i die, ill be reunited with "Energy" his horse from during the war, an Austrailian Whaler, he had it in India with him in the Army for 12 years then had to shoot it when the Japanese broke into Burmah in the early 1943 I blelive - it stayed with him all his life and never got over it, but orders were orders then, and he had to leave his horse to fight the japanese with tanks, hed been with it 12 years before war broke out.

we form such deep links with animals, when we were lambing a few years back, im pretty hardened to farm life i think but we both cried when one of the little lambs died after a few days that we had to bottle feed as it was an orphan.

when my grandad died, a few days earlier when he knew he wasnt well, he said when i die, ill be reunited with "Energy" his horse from during the war, an Austrailian Whaler, he had it in India with him in the Army for 12 years then had to shoot it when the Japanese broke into Burmah in the early 1943 I blelive - it stayed with him all his life and never got over it, but orders were orders then, and he had to leave his horse to fight the japanese with tanks, hed been with it 12 years before war broke out.

we form such deep links with animals, when we were lambing a few years back, im pretty hardened to farm life i think but we both cried when one of the little lambs died after a few days that we had to bottle feed as it was an orphan.

Oh christ I`m choking up again now.

• 3 months later...

thancks hama this thread has helped me lots to think of the good times my dog Bess a black lad was killed yesterday on a main road, she was my best friend and companion and came to work with me all the time id say it the most sad i have been with out her,i had her for 5 years bess was 9years old .i was given her as she wasnt wanted and needed a home ,not for a while as will never replace Bess but i would like to do the same for another unwanted dog one day:001_smile:5976566e966a8_besdog2.JPG.636cab89d63c56cc3a81c1968b84bde6.JPG

5976566e9cc38_besdog5.JPG.b0a043c7f3af9279c985d9b99f45251a.JPG

5976566e99afa_besdog.JPG.3d773da44817244a50cf6ff4673a0f4f.JPG