Buff- so long old friend......

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how hard it must be for you, we had to make that decision that only a best friend could make in Jan after our rescue Lab collapsed with no warning, vet said he might be able to extend Toddys life by up to 6 months, but a lot of surgery, he wouldn't be able to get excited, be off the lead at the park or woods, in other words not be who he was, my wife couldn't make the decision, but we both knew it was the right thing to do. He was a mirror of me, i know i would of wanted him to do the same for me if he could. A month and a half later we added a new member to our family, Swagger, a Rottie who was left in the snow last year, Like you we wanted a dog that wasn't perfect, and maybe would find getting a home a challange. Within no time the house was a home again, and as i type hes cuddled up with me on the sofa.

Sorry for long post, but although it may not seem like it, time heals, it does get better Untill Rainbow Bridge comes our best friends are with us in our hearts. Hope that helps.

I know how hard it must be for you' date=' we had to make that decision that only a best friend could make in Jan after our rescue Lab collapsed with no warning, vet said he might be able to extend Toddys life by up to 6 months, but a lot of surgery, he wouldn't be able to get excited, be off the lead at the park or woods, in other words not be who he was, my wife couldn't make the decision, but we both knew it was the right thing to do. He was a mirror of me, i know i would of wanted him to do the same for me if he could. A month and a half later we added a new member to our family, Swagger, a Rottie who was left in the snow last year, Like you we wanted a dog that wasn't perfect, and maybe would find getting a home a challange. Within no time the house was a home again, and as i type hes cuddled up with me on the sofa.

Sorry for long post, but although it may not seem like it, time heals, it does get better Untill Rainbow Bridge comes our best friends are with us in our hearts. Hope that helps.[/quote']

thanks dude, dont get me wrong, im over the loss, but I dont like to forget friends that have meant so much to me. thinking of him may evoke a tear but that tear is also accompanied by a smile and a warm feeling of joy even laughfter when I remember the times we had.

All those that give their hearts to animals and have lost them know exactly what its like:thumbup1:

some poeple dont get why WE are so attached, but when you have a relationship with an animal you have to learn to communicate on a non verbal basis, it forces a connection thats on a different wavelength. Buff was my BEST buddy, we was inseparable, he made me happy and it was a mutual thing, dogs dont bear grudges judge you, they just love you, with everything they have.

I cant give a dog a home right now, it wouldnt be fair, but hopefully in the not too distant future i will find a rescue/basket case and build a long and lasting bond with a dog again.

and walks in the woods will once more take on that other dimension:thumbup1:

Really enjoyed reading through this thread, hope time is making things easy for you tony.

Choked me right up a few times reading through, got both my dogs laying around my feet asleep in the sun. My spaniel is my best mate, he'd never ever judge me and I love him to bits. He comes to the farm with me each day, he'll sit in the tractor cab for 14hrs and wont moan at all. Loves being inthe woods what ever the season. The other dog is the girlfriends old Lab, he is really getting on now. 12yrs I believe. And im dreading the day he leaves us, will break her heart.

59765d71b39f2_Harvest2011017.jpg.a7a03dec80a7bf674b724791049000f1.jpg

59765d71b0c91_Harvest2011009.jpg.26874708202adec0e6e884b2462d5aff.jpg

Really enjoyed reading through this thread, hope time is making things easy for you tony.

Choked me right up a few times reading through, got both my dogs laying around my feet asleep in the sun. My spaniel is my best mate, he'd never ever judge me and I love him to bits. He comes to the farm with me each day, he'll sit in the tractor cab for 14hrs and wont moan at all. Loves being inthe woods what ever the season. The other dog is the girlfriends old Lab, he is really getting on now. 12yrs I believe. And im dreading the day he leaves us, will break her heart.

off all those sayings dogs being a mans best friend is the best and most accurate :thumbup1:

off all those sayings dogs being a mans best friend is the best and most accurate :thumbup1:

Certainly is, he has guided me through a really **** relationship break up, he was there when another girl came on to the sceen and they get on great, he was there when I decided to jack in a very good job to go self employed. Never once did he say "dont do it dad!!!"

Certainly is, he has guided me through a really **** relationship break up, he was there when another girl came on to the sceen and they get on great, he was there when I decided to jack in a very good job to go self employed. Never once did he say "dont do it dad!!!"

Funny how we can "read" our dogs faces isnt it, my favourite expression from buff was always the " come and chase me" look he knew what way I would respond and I knew what way he would, we would run out the kitchen door he would go round and round in circles till I caught his legs and tripped him then jumped and pinned him where i would bite him and we would have a little play scrap.

was always our favourite game:lol: the look on his face a mix of fear and utter excitement as i leaped of the sofa to see him bolt off like a lightning rod!

good times:thumbup:

My best friend is now retired and I know she's on borrowed time, we spent a lifetime working together side by side, intuitive, extremely clever, and absolutely devoted, by my side.....she now hobbles around, can't walk far and snores like crazy !! I often find myself with watery eyes an a lump in my throat when she lays next to me in the garden.......sheesh its gonna be hard !!! So I fully understand your thoughts my friend, the bond betwEen man and dog is as old as time itself.....

Good luck with the future, happy thoughts and memories.

Mark