i just think

jamie wroe

Just watched a program on one of the bbc channels... about unemployed people... one guy hadn't worked for 7 years, they got him knocking on doors just asking for work. Now you've got a skill, I know there's a few people that do their business that way.

Just go and do it, look smart talk to people leave your phone number. Just do it, you have nothing to lose, and if you do a good job that's where you reputation starts.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try not to aim down one road to much, get out gardening or anything to help you pay for your tickets. If you are as good as you say within a year you will be full certified and maybe by then the economy will pick up and work might be easyer to come by.

good luck

For years i worked with no tickets, apparantly ' unders supervision' was ok - was on ground, then also climbing big scary stuff quite alot, for bigger companies such as fountains and bartlett - both were prepared to put me through tickets, with some sort of deal whereby if you leave in a certain time then you repay a %.

because of movin around alot, i never got em, and eventually bit the bullet and borrowed the money to get ground tickets, at Arborventure in hamps.

not only did this help me meet new people, contacts etc, i was up against alot of eager newbies, and when some of them failed, i passed without dropping a single mark on the assessments - great for confidence and reaffirms why you do it in the first place.

i have also had to apply for jobs for years with no driving licence, which is about to change, but my point is, ive worked with new guys with tickets, driving licence etc - they last 1 week and they're out usually - but THEY ALWAYS GET THROUGH THE DOOR FIRST.

get at least a ground ticket man at least.

you gotta be in it to win it..!

As all of the above you need to get some certs.Whether you think its right or wrong its the way things are these days.

That is if you want to be employed and or subbie out.

Unless you can get a job as a trainee.

Depends what the market is like where you are though but here there have been loads of qualified climbers looking for work for the last 18 months, they will get a foot in the door over someone with no certs.

Experience and more importantly skill do mean more but not to the HSE.

Good luck in how you decide to do it.:thumbup1:

thank you all for your advise.and timber cutter i might be a bad speller but i know that and dont need you to point it out thanks

Yes but this last post does prove that when you make the effort you can get your spelling right and make a better impression .... only one spelling mistake in that one ( advice not advise ) and I consider myself to be poor at spelling. I have conducted hundreds of interviews and applications with no effort made to get the spelling correct do not get to the starting line of an interview .. a dictionary is not an expensive item or you can even use predictive text on your mobile to check your spelling.

Edited by Amelanchier
edited quote for consistency

mr wroe,i have a neighbour who has been unemployed for a year( classed as long term unemployed )and he has just managed to get his climbing and cutting tickets payed for he also has had £500.00 worth of ppe provided and can offer any new employer a £1000 grant if they take him on. There are oppertunities out there.

you just gotta look for them:001_smile:

mr wroe,i have a neighbour who has been unemployed for a year( classed as long term unemployed )and he has just managed to get his climbing and cutting tickets payed for he also has had £500.00 worth of ppe provided and can offer any new employer a £1000 grant if they take him on. There are oppertunities out there.

you just gotta look for them:001_smile:

hate to say it its people like that who make life difficult for me to get a job paid my way everytime and how can i offer an employer anything like that!

Makes me sick sorry i know its my opinion but it does! at time like that i think to myself why they hell have i bothered to invest thousands of pounds in myself when i could have sat on my bum and got it all handed to me on a plate!

Jamie, you need a bit of an attitude adjustment. Aside from all the above points you seem to be far too negative. This industry doesn't have much room for people who allow the word "CAN'T" into their vocabulary. There is no such thing as can't. If the tone of your posts is anything like the tone you use when applying for a job I'm not the least bit surprised you haven't been offered a job. Most people on here, or in any qualified position for that matter, have at one time or another, been in your position. For that reason you aren't going to get much sympathy.

Getting your tickets by any means necessary shows a prospective employer that you MAY have the ability to get the job done, so it MAY be worth taki ng a chance on you. Don't mean to lecture you but it sounds like you need it to get you to cut out this woes me stuff.

You know what you need to do.. but in case you don't, or haven't cottoned on yet.

1) Look at some of the centres suggested in this thread (I live in Ireland so can't suggest any relevant to you).

2) Put them in the google search bar and find out how much you will need for your tickets, and which tickets you will need to get started.

3) Figure out how you are going to get the money to do them (bank loan, savings, or a combination of both)

4) Ring some employers, explain your situation again, only this time ask them to keep your name and number on record in case anything does come up. Be POSITIVE on the phone with them. Maybe even suggest doing a day for free with them dragging branches etc so that they can get an idea of what you are about.

To be honest, if you can't do any of this off your own bat, I can't see any reason why you would be any good to an employer.