i just think

jamie wroe

When I graduated I applied for a job with a transport research co (that was my bag at the time); the director was exactly what I was looking for - he told me. He also told me that because I spelt professional with two fs he would not take the application any further. At the time I thought it was very harsh. I've never spelt it wrong since and boy do I respect that man now. Harsh is good.

That was my first reaction as well re spelling ... but fairs fair and give the lad a chance. Maybe that's why he never did his certs perhaps?!

But having said that Jamie is it worth you doing some education courses as you'll prob be able to do for free if your signing on? It'll take guts to do it but it will serve you well later in life. And as has already been said get your qualifications.

Because to be honest you will not find work if you're not qualified. You need to put your energy into getting the basic certs (even if just maintenance and cross cut) for a chance of any sort of job. Start off as a groundie, work hard, save and then go for the other climbing certs.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh i see your point completly I do enjoy my theory side granted, no where near as much as i enjoy my practical.

But I do think to myself that one day when I am too old and buggered to climb. Some of the lessons I have learnt will come to good use like the business management side which I will do from september,

as well as all the conservation management stuff opens alot of doors I supose and then I have the option of going to uni but i think i will give that a miss as well as that you get your cs40 and 41 in your last year which is handy to have but still doesnt offset the amount I have paid to live in etc etc

and i am forgetting you get your chipper ticket in that as well, plus a load of experience on the stump grinder and you have a good idea of how a site works before you go into the world of work so i supose there are pro's to is as well as all the con's!

MAybe if you are really interested in tree surgery get a job doing anything else, even if its tescos, save up and get your certs (try Barony College - Very Cheap).

Whilst doing this keep asking local arbs and arbs far a field if there is any work, explain your predicament and what you are doing to rectify it.

I bet if you was to do the above/work in another industry to get where you want as an arb small businesses will be really impressed and know if they did give you a job you will give a 100%.

Sometimes you have to do things you dont want to do to get to where you want. :thumbup1:

An old fashioned reaction from me I'm afraid; if your spelling and grammar is anything to go by, no wonder no-one will employ you. You don't need to be a rocket scientist I know, but your posts ain't good.

Punctuation is also important, I fixed your for you :001_smile::001_tongue:

Edited by skyhuck