ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

4 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Nothing like a dog working and loving it.

My old fellas spaniel used to sit in the hide looking up at me and my dad.  The expression in his face was

“are you two fools gonna hit something so I can go and get it!?!”

I see so many breeds of working dogs around be that are just mental and vastly over weight,, I took a elderly gent out this aft pigeoning abd TBH I would not of thought he knew so much bad language,, he just said I have shot about 80 shells for half a dozen birds and that has been a big education for me,, I let him take most of the shots first but the old lad was struggling, he said he had spent 1000s over the years on grouse partridge and pheasant shooting but never experienced pigeon shooting abd it's like starting at the bottom again ,, and like your spaniel thus lab was getting a bit board ,,

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

I see so many breeds of working dogs around be that are just mental and vastly over weight,, I took a elderly gent out this aft pigeoning abd TBH I would not of thought he knew so much bad language,, he just said I have shot about 80 shells for half a dozen birds and that has been a big education for me,, I let him take most of the shots first but the old lad was struggling, he said he had spent 1000s over the years on grouse partridge and pheasant shooting but never experienced pigeon shooting abd it's like starting at the bottom again ,, and like your spaniel thus lab was getting a bit board ,,

Don’t get me wrong.  We got the birds.  100 to 200 Woodies was not uncommon.  2 hides, set up at each end of a large field along a flight line.  

When the birds were there they got shot.  My PB was 78 woodies in about 2 hours.

My comment was referring to when the birds weren’t there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

Don’t get me wrong.  We got the birds.  100 to 200 Woodies was not uncommon.  2 hides, set up at each end of a large field along a flight line.  

When the birds were there they got shot.  My PB was 78 woodies in about 2 hours.

My comment was referring to when the birds weren’t there.

Yep I fully understand that one, as i told the old boy out yesterday with me, pigeons will be here today gone tomorrow and when I ring other people all I get is, its a bit short notice,,

• Like 1

Well the last month has sure gone fast, my lodger goes home tomorrow and I will surely miss her, its been great having Purdey here and really inspired me to up my game at looking for a new pup, me and purdey have had a great time out training and some days in the hide pigeon shooting we have had some good days with the best day being last saturday with a mixed bag of pigeons and crows at 224,  this was a big day for a young dog so she was held back a fair bit but when it came time to pick up i let her do her bit, fed her her breakfast Sunday morning then she went straight back to bed and snoring like a gud un after 10 mins,  well I am sure she will miss me and all the time spent in the great out doors, but I am sure she will be coming back soon,, 

20230729_210305.jpg

20230730_100230.jpg

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Well the last month has sure gone fast, my lodger goes home tomorrow and I will surely miss her, its been great having Purdey here and really inspired me to up my game at looking for a new pup, me and purdey have had a great time out training and some days in the hide pigeon shooting we have had some good days with the best day being last saturday with a mixed bag of pigeons and crows at 224,  this was a big day for a young dog so she was held back a fair bit but when it came time to pick up i let her do her bit, fed her her breakfast Sunday morning then she went straight back to bed and snoring like a gud un after 10 mins,  well I am sure she will miss me and all the time spent in the great out doors, but I am sure she will be coming back soon,, 

20230729_210305.jpg

20230730_100230.jpg

Who will miss who the most?

Glad you had a great time

• Like 3

Well the vet appeared today as arranged and was here for approx an hr, Purdey did not make the fuss I thought she would of made over her owner,, we had a brew and  chatted about Purdey and the time spent here with me, before I could ask I was offered if I wanted to pick this dog up and take her out working it will not be a problem, them came the question of would I have Purdey for another 2 wk as the vet is looking after a friend's dig that has just had surgery on a rear leg so needs to be rested ,, eh yes she can stop here no probs, so we had a quick look out late this aft after the rain stopped and bagged 2 pigeons,, so I am quite happy ATM as my bew best mate has obtained a holiday extension 😀 

20230801_175204.jpg

• Like 12

13 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Well the vet appeared today as arranged and was here for approx an hr, Purdey did not make the fuss I thought she would of made over her owner,, we had a brew and  chatted about Purdey and the time spent here with me, before I could ask I was offered if I wanted to pick this dog up and take her out working it will not be a problem, them came the question of would I have Purdey for another 2 wk as the vet is looking after a friend's dig that has just had surgery on a rear leg so needs to be rested ,, eh yes she can stop here no probs, so we had a quick look out late this aft after the rain stopped and bagged 2 pigeons,, so I am quite happy ATM as my bew best mate has obtained a holiday extension 😀 

20230801_175204.jpg

Little lottery win for both of you 😃

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh well it is purdeys last day of her holiday with me today ,😐, its been just shy of 7 wk and I think we been out shooting about a dozen times and this girl has had a ball, we have shot just over a 1000 pigeons and a few crows n Jack days, she has done well at finding and retrieving all most every thing we have shot. 

But last Sunday I committed to the purchase of a new lab pup, and WTF have I let myself in for ?? Pup is just 10 wk old and a typical lab pup in to every thing it shouldn't be🤣 she been here since Wednesday and this morning she has discovered the pond so she been in there 3 times now ,, she is very well bred with a fair few Scotish dogs on her pedigree so please meet, Isla,, 

We was out shooting yesterday and when we was setting up purdey had a very serious look on her face when Isla was investigating a crow decoy, the look just said hey what's that little dog doing, that's my job,, 🤣

20230819_135222.jpg

20230816_153639.jpg

20230820_093533.jpg

20230820_110442.jpg

• Like 13