ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

7 hours ago, AHPP said:

Climbing was not as straightforward. Mini site clearance. Tractor and trailer, 8t digger, tracked chipper and several saws in a back garden. I tied him to a stump and went climbing. He squeaked for a while and then protested further by tying himself in an atrocious knot with his lead and screaming for the RSPCA. Luckily my ropeman at this outfit is an experienced houndhusband and could sort him out. He got better sat a bit closer and eventually accepted his fate of having a fairly boring day. By late morning, I was round the front and he was apparently fine just watching them chip. A result, I'd say. He won't have to put up with much busier than that. 

Sounds promising, I'm sure he'll get in the swing of it. My old boy Santi was great at putting himself somewhere safe where he could observe proceedings, and Ted would just settle next to the climbing bag when I left the ground.

Miss them!

6 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Sounds promising, I'm sure he'll get in the swing of it. My old boy Santi was great at putting himself somewhere safe where he could observe proceedings, and Ted would just settle next to the climbing bag when I left the ground.

Miss them!

Mines not a fan of tree work, he's a arb truck guard mostly.

He does like surveying tho and is happy to go miles through the woods etc.

I think it's the noise of machines that puts him off.

• Like 1

Kira will happily sit in the truck when we are at work.

I occasionally bring her out and tie her up.  When the chipper is going she just chills but when it stops she thinks it is her time now.

I have tried tieing her up when we are just climbing but she just goes mental.  I had to come out of a tree once to put her in the truck.

She doesn't mind the cage in the back of my hilux, at least I know she won't be up to mischief in there.  Sadly I cannot let her out and run free.  The prey drive is a bit too strong in this one...  I will end up spending the rest of the day wearing our my boots looking for her. ;)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the beagle.

I once hit a dog with the fully loaded truck and chipper on the South Circular in London.  I was almost as gutted as the owner was.

Jack Russel legged it across the busy road.  Front tyres, Rear double and then the chipper finished the poor thing off.

I can only imagine that happening to my own dog.  :(

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Miss them!

This site was too crash and bash and Sailor's too thick. He'd be under something heavy immediately. Tied up with the kit makes most sense except that where there's kit, there's sandwiches. Back of the van good for kit security there but less good if I have to send an uninitiated groundsman to get something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Kira will happily sit in the truck when we are at work.

I occasionally bring her out and tie her up.  When the chipper is going she just chills but when it stops she thinks it is her time now.

I have tried tieing her up when we are just climbing but she just goes mental.  I had to come out of a tree once to put her in the truck.

She doesn't mind the cage in the back of my hilux, at least I know she won't be up to mischief in there.  Sadly I cannot let her out and run free.  The prey drive is a bit too strong in this one...  I will end up spending the rest of the day wearing our my boots looking for her. ;)

Sailor sets the alarm off and looks for dashboard biscuits. 

I was nervous about taking him to work to be honest. I pride myself on diligent service to whoever I'm climbing for and spending time fiddling with my dog when they're paying me by the time unit seems cheeky. I reckon he only took 30-60 seconds ten times the other day though. Maybe not unreasonable. 

Dog GPS. Cheap peace of mind. I can probably send you a code for 35% off a Tractive. I paid about forty quid for the unit and £100 for two years of subscription. £1.35 a week for chase recovery and an amount of theft resistance. That's a bargain in my book. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Dog GPS. Cheap peace of mind. I can probably send you a code for 35% off a Tractive. I paid about forty quid for the unit and £100 for two years of subscription. £1.35 a week for chase recovery and an amount of theft resistance. That's a bargain in my book. 

I've been looking at my options for this lately, it'd be a huge peace of mind. Is Tractive top of the list for you for any reason? 

In other news, 12.5 year old Baldric now has 8 week Oscar to train. 

20240323_184839.thumb.jpg.de5b4e4c9f4185c92110b03d6f85a8a9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, peds said:

I've been looking at my options for this lately, it'd be a huge peace of mind. Is Tractive top of the list for you for any reason? 

In other news, 12.5 year old Baldric now has 8 week Oscar to train. 

20240323_184839.thumb.jpg.de5b4e4c9f4185c92110b03d6f85a8a9.jpg

Tractive works, quickly. Relatively ubiquitous and good reputation. Andrew Camarata uses them after finding others weren't good enough. I got a Pitpat first because it's a one off payment, no subscription. Sent it straight back. They have a dedicated section of the website for returns for a reason. I was waiting over three minutes for it to come online. Tractive is usually ten seconds or so. 

Trust me. I don't buy or endorse subscription model bollocks lightly. Tractive is the one.

• Thanks 1