Air rifle advice please

Saw-sick Steve

Are you in a red squirrel area ?.

As that's the only time I would live trap, but any trap that kills has to be in a tunnel or enclosure and approved.

WCS are pretty cheap at around £60 including the trap. As are Quill, plastic box with a Fenn mark 4 trap

Most others are more expensive as I have metal boxes that look like bird boxes to be a bit on the quiet.

Air Arms 400f for sale locally, also Gamo Phox and Coyote. Do magazines make a huge difference in the field or are people still happy with single shot? Also charging, pump v tank or can you use a compressor?

Looks like I might have to invest in some traps as well, I'm used to the odd bit of damage on Sycamore, Beech and Hornbeam but this year not one has escaped attack and I've also had serious damage to Oak and even Willow, which is a right bugger considering many are trees I planted 20 years ago.

Thanks for the advice so far👍

1 minute ago, Saw-sick Steve said:

Air Arms 400f for sale locally, also Gamo Phox and Coyote. Do magazines make a huge difference in the field or are people still happy with single shot? Also charging, pump v tank or can you use a compressor?

Looks like I might have to invest in some traps as well, I'm used to the odd bit of damage on Sycamore, Beech and Hornbeam but this year not one has escaped attack and I've also had serious damage to Oak and even Willow, which is a right bugger considering many are trees I planted 20 years ago.

Thanks for the advice so far👍

I have a compressor + a small diving bottle but only use the compressor . The Daystate rotary mag hold 11 in .22 and I find it useful .

• Like 1

Dive tank as it's clean air and about £20 a year for refills and testing every 5 years, but I do use a lot of air being FAC as 30 shots and it's empty.

Magazine always better, I always leave one spot empty so it's not loaded until I'm in the field and ready for action.

Plus you've not left it in the house, car or gun slip, if you do it when you're heading through the gate.

• Like 1

Had a few air rifles over the years but out of the pcp ones I owned a 2.2 ultra was my favourite, it stayed the most constant in accuracy and power .. even over and no one else will agree but the s410 I had at the time too… they are a very good value for the money gun. 

• Like 1

Wow can't believe you lot. In all my shooting and not done any for a long while and maybe not as much as some of you may have done. 

But. .... 177 all day long man! Bisley magnums pack a hell of a punch. Lot flatter trajectory.  Can't believe people still mess about with 22.... or even .20 for that matter.

I was always a single shot man. (But had some multis)

Had allsorts aa s400, daystate air rangers, rapid 17, bb s10, logun sweet 16, falcon fn12 bloody all sorts!

My personal favourite bsa hornet .177 with the mmc cooking system. Regulated rifle mint!

Do some reading up mate, airgunbbs etc. 

.177 is where it's at out to 40 yards head shots no worries with practice

Edited by swinny
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, GarethM said:

Dive tank as it's clean air and about £20 a year for refills and testing every 5 years, but I do use a lot of air being FAC as 30 shots and it's empty.

Magazine always better, I always leave one spot empty so it's not loaded until I'm in the field and ready for action.

Plus you've not left it in the house, car or gun slip, if you do it when you're heading through the gate.

You say dive tank as its clean air ( and I agree clean air is preferable ) but the dive tank is filled with a compressor anyway . 

13 minutes ago, Stubby said:

You say dive tank as its clean air ( and I agree clean air is preferable ) but the dive tank is filled with a compressor anyway . 

It clean air as it's oil free, filtered, moisture removed and suitable for dive use.

It's a tank at 300 Bar, can't remember if it's 12 litre tank or larger but I'm not risking my life with anything holding that amount of compressed gas without testing.

Edited by GarethM