Holzfformer G372XP

kram

I bought this saw in Jan and so far I like it. There are a couple of minor issues but the power is great, to me it feels as powerfull as my buddys Stihl 500i and nicer to use/start. Im using a 20" bar but may get a 28" for the bigger stuff.

IMG_20240723_174705.thumb.jpg.f436fa1f8c1a7918857355ccc550ac19.jpg

Im thinking of buying a 52mm big bore kit which will take it from 71cc to 77cc and give slightly more power. Parts are cheap if it goes wrong, and I'd then have the original cylinder as a spare.

Good idea? Anything to consider when swapping a big bore kit? Will it need any futher tuning or just a quick carb adjustment?

Thanks

Edited by kram

46 minutes ago, kram said:

I bought this saw in Jan and so far I like it. There are a couple of minor issues but the power is great, to me it feels as powerfull as my buddys Stihl 500i and nicer to use/start. Im using a 20" bar but may get a 28" for the bigger stuff.

IMG_20240723_174705.thumb.jpg.f436fa1f8c1a7918857355ccc550ac19.jpg

Im thinking of buying a 52mm big bore kit which will take it from 71cc to 77cc and give slightly more power. Parts are cheap if it goes wrong, and I'd then have the original cylinder as a spare.

Good idea? Anything to consider when swapping a big bore kit? Will it need any futher tuning or just a quick carb adjustment?

Thanks

Is it a Farmtech ?  I have heard other people say they are pretty good for the dosh ...

Perhaps, I also had a new sharp full chisel chain and we were cutting a rotten ganoderma ash so perhaps neither were really under much load. The specs claim 4kW vs 5kW... Either way power is not everything and I prefered the g372xp. I'll be fixing the issues and not wanting to use the 500i again. My wrist is still sore!

IMG-20240801-WA0008.thumb.jpg.5ee978ce52b9e46b51f9685aa270418b.jpg

49 minutes ago, pleasant said:

It is unlikely to be anywhere near 71cc already

I would expect the bore, stroke etc to be to the published spec but perhaps the compression may be set lower. It would explain the much easier sstarting

Anyway the china bashing is no interest to me. For £159 delivered its a great saw that does what I need/want. Can anyone give me advice on the big bore kit (china or otherwise) and any other tuning options I should do while Im in there?

Thanks

Mark

10 hours ago, kram said:

Perhaps, I also had a new sharp full chisel chain and we were cutting a rotten ganoderma ash so perhaps neither were really under much load. The specs claim 4kW vs 5kW... Either way power is not everything and I prefered the g372xp. I'll be fixing the issues and not wanting to use the 500i again. My wrist is still sore!

IMG-20240801-WA0008.thumb.jpg.5ee978ce52b9e46b51f9685aa270418b.jpg

I would expect the bore, stroke etc to be to the published spec but perhaps the compression may be set lower. It would explain the much easier sstarting

Anyway the china bashing is no interest to me. For £159 delivered its a great saw that does what I need/want. Can anyone give me advice on the big bore kit (china or otherwise) and any other tuning options I should do while Im in there?

Thanks

Mark

I seem to remember there was a thread where someone ported the farmtech version of a 372 . It went very well I think .

It’s not just China bashing.

If they produced a brand new design, with innovative features, and put it out at that price (or any price in fact) I’d be interested.

But they steal decades of research and work of other companies, by just copying.

I don’t really care that much you understand, buy what you like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob_z_l said:

Big Bore No.

Why mess with the build (integrity?) of an already cheap saw? 

For a bit more than the price of a pot and piston couldn't you buy a new Holzforma bigger saw? G288? 

And then get a big bore kit for that 😃

• Haha 4