Rotten tree with 2 stroke winch

Steven1210

8 hours ago, Steven1210 said:

Sorry for the lack of replies, as my password was stored on laptop I couldn't log in and post from phone.

Sorted now.

The tree was in a field next to 2 small apple trees, so they were the only "target"

I didn't arrange the job or decide on the method of removal.

@Dan Maynard I totally agree, dead wood, no strength.

@Mark Bolam it was clearly dead, and rotten, hence the winch was brought out.

@Donnie shit happens, but you do t blame others (as i have seen)

@spuddog0507 yes, very different, there was no control, it jusr went

i have little experience in arb/forrestry,  and could see it was rotten.

the winch just couldn't keep up when it started to go (too quick with back cut?)

When winch was in control it had a lead on direction, then just went, the winch couldn't pull the rope fast enough to aid anything to direction.

There was no hinge, just rotten shite.....

To me in my limited knowledge, it's as if the tree started to go, and the weight shift just caused the rotted stem to give way.

But apparently my fault.....

Well, if you were in charge of the job on the day then I guess it was.

No matter.

Think of it as a very cheap lesson, two apple trees and a bit of a bollocking and you’ve learnt a lesson that’ll last you a lifetime.

Impossible really to tell too much without seeing it, and I might very well have done the same, but there are things you might have done to avoid it. Winch at 90 degrees to the lay etc.

At least it wasn’t a house it landed on!

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

It's been two days, and nobody has pointed out the glaringly obvious. If your winch couldn't keep up, I'll bet a pound to a silver pig that you made the classic tree surgeon mistake of putting the winch rope way too high. I've seen it time and time again, from guys with years of arb experience, with varying degrees of collateral damage that was totally avoidable. The worst is when you can see whats coming a mile off, but you can't tell the lead company to do it any different as if you tell them the right way and their blokes with no experience still **************** it up it'll then be your fault.

Arb and forestry are totally different, and it really shows in situations like these.

With a dead pop, I'd always set the rope probably around halfway up depending on weight distribution/what it looks like (theres the years of experience, hard to quantify), notch it and guage the size of the gob by how quickly I encounter rot. Then the backcut leaving a really recent amount of wood (cannot stress this enough). A good, committed pull with the 2.7t digger or Multione or truck and away she goes.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 6