Brushcutter Advice/starting out strimming etc.

Donnie

You will cover far more area quicker with cord than with a metal blade, with less exposure to vibration and less fuel. 
Stihl do a couple of heads that I have used for specific jobs, tuff grasses growing on flint at a nature reserve in Rye, metal blades created the risk of sparks/fire, this head had plastic blades that you replaced, think Stihl recalled it though, not sure if it is back on the market(Polycut Head)
The other option is the Stihl Durocut head, it has really aggressive short strips that you replace as required, it smashes through bramble/bracken far quicker than a blade, just work around any tough regen/saplings, finish the largest area then hit the tuff stuff that you have left with the blade. 

IMG_5371.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

You will cover far more area quicker with cord than with a metal blade, with less exposure to vibration and less fuel. 

I can't see you are correct on this as cord is harder on engine. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, woody paul said:

I can't see you are correct on this as cord is harder on engine. 

Sounds like you’re using a machine with an underpowered engine for the cord/head you are running.
 I’ll walk one side of a ride with cord on my machine, you have a blade and see who gets to the end first. 
I’ll have a brew ready for you. 

Edited by 5thelement
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Does the heavier flywheel of a steel disc smooth the engine out?

....until you thump something, which jars every aspect of the drive and can lead to off-centre-ness and vibrations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I wish, 4 years in so far and whilst it has lost some vigour it regrows with much shorter stems making it more difficult to cut amongst the young heather.

I'm told the rhizomes will keep throwing shoots for 20 years but I won't be here to see that.

How much bracken are you talking about?  Could you pull it up?  I've eradicated small areas br strimming them repeatedly in the early summer - you are effectively stopping it getting light and photosynthesising - it has to have an effect.

6 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

How much bracken are you talking about?  Could you pull it up?  I've eradicated small areas br strimming them repeatedly in the early summer - you are effectively stopping it getting light and photosynthesising - it has to have an effect.

It's 4 patches that have invaded the heath over the last 40 years, Now I cut a bit as I walk the dogs, initially as an experiment but now an obsession. I guess about half an acre.

I'll revise that after looking at google earth to about quarter acre

Yes preventing it feeding the rhizome but the major effect is stopping it shading out smaller plants. Also there is something allelopathic about either the bracken or its litter, After the first year it was apparent that new heather seedlings were able to germinate, I might try and remember to take photos. I'm very pleased with the result but realise when I stop cutting it it will revert and take over, simply because the increase in available available minerals favour it over heather. The reason lowland heaths exist is because farmed animals have overgrazed it and trotted off with minerals to the abattoir. In less clement climates a desert would have formed rather than heath.

Edited by openspaceman
corrected area and spelling

2 hours ago, 5thelement said:

Sounds like you’re using a machine with an underpowered engine for the cord/head you are running.
 I’ll walk one side of a ride with cord on my machine, you have a blade and see who gets to the end first. 

I agree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5thelement said:

What Brushcutter you using, mine would be husky 252 rx with shredder blade. 

I have been using strimmers and Brushcutters for over 40 years and used many different cutting heads. 

6 hours ago, 5thelement said:

Stihl do a couple of heads that I have used for specific jobs, tuff grasses growing on flint at a nature reserve in Rye, metal blades created the risk of sparks/fire, this head had plastic blades that you replaced, think Stihl recalled it though, not sure if it is back on the market(Polycut Head)
The other option is the Stihl Durocut head, it has really aggressive short strips that you replace as required, it smashes through bramble/bracken far quicker than a blade, just work around any tough regen/saplings, finish the largest area then hit the tuff stuff that you have left with the blade. 

IMG_5371.jpeg

I agree you will cover more area with cord but a metal blade uses lees fuel than cord . Once its up and spinning you use very little throttle to keep it going . I prefer cord though .

• Like 2