Brushcutter Advice/starting out strimming etc.

Donnie

I used to do shitloads of strimming as you describe.

You don't want an FS561. They are built for cutting Christmas trees. Much heavier, way more vibes and nasty to use in comparison to an FS461. Even the FS491 is a noticeably different platform, I have both and the FS461 is much nicer to use.

Penty of power, I run without the guard, a foot of string each side and the nut swapped from the standard Autocut 40 head to an Autocut 25, which gives a nice nimble cutting end for getting around obstacles with the minimum of movement. 2.4mm line is plenty, if you need to do heaver stuff then put the 4 way head on with some 2.7mm line. Thicker line just drags a machine down, it's a waste of time on grass.

This surgical approach has seen me well, and despite nowadays spending every day sat in a cab except when I cut the church grass,  I could still 'out-strim' anyone here who wishes to throw their hat into the ring. @Stubby? 🤣

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve done a fair bit on these machines over the years.

I have a mix of Stihl/ Husqvarna machines of varying sizes for different uses. 
Husky 535/555rxt and Stihl 461 for trimmer cord/grass blades/mulcher blades. These are mostly used for ride widening, maintaining mountain bike tracks and clearing around newly planted tree to allow access for spraying or to avoid spraying altogether.

I have a short shaft Stihl 461 and a Husky 555fxt with thumb throttle and heated handles for clearing saw blades. 
These are used purely for spacing out plantations and on conservation sites that don’t allow forestry mulching machines on site , RSPB/Conservation sites where ground nesting birds and habitat destruction are an issue.

I would contact any local conservation Charities and see what they come back with, the work would be intermittent and seasonal but I would regularly have at least six weeks per year booked in for four guys at £250 per day, and similar for spraying, gave everyone a break from hand cutting for a while, that’s going back 5 years or so. 

Edited by 5thelement
  • Thanks 1

461, had a quick look at them last night after finishing this topic and it does seem like the perfect way to go and 300 quid cheaper each which makes buying two at a time a hell of a lot better. 

Shaft size…… I’m 6’6 or so on a good day, used a Husky (not sure of the number) but the shaft was very short and it was prettg awkward to use. I’m guessing you can extend the shaft on any brushcutter?

I do prefer a longer than average shaft…

@doobin 

So thinner wire for grass and weeding around newly planted trees etc. 

What brand of wire is better/cost effective?

Guessing you’re not getting a lot of out a 100 metre reel like this?

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Round Section 2.7 mm x 208 m Mowing line Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 0000 930 2227 Suitable for the following Stihl...

10 minutes ago, Donnie said:

461, had a quick look at them last night after finishing this topic and it does seem like the perfect way to go and 300 quid cheaper each which makes buying two at a time a hell of a lot better. 

Shaft size…… I’m 6’6 or so on a good day, used a Husky (not sure of the number) but the shaft was very short and it was prettg awkward to use. I’m guessing you can extend the shaft on any brushcutter?

I do prefer a longer than average shaft…

@doobin 

So thinner wire for grass and weeding around newly planted trees etc. 

What brand of wire is better/cost effective?

Guessing you’re not getting a lot of out a 100 metre reel like this?

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Round Section 2.7 mm x 208 m Mowing line Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 0000 930 2227 Suitable for the following Stihl...

You can't just extend the shaft, you have to buy the long shaft model to start. Else you'll spend silly money on new bits.

Stihl 2.4mm line (orange) is all I use for grass. In a smaller head (change the internal nuts to fit). That red cord works well for brambles etc in the 4-way Autocut head.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, doobin said:

You can't just extend the shaft, you have to buy the long shaft model to start. Else you'll spend silly money on new bits.

Stihl 2.4mm line (orange) is all I use for grass. In a smaller head (change the internal nuts to fit). That red cord works well for brambles etc in the 4-way Autocut head.

OK. So this stuff?

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Mowing line, 2.4 mm x 420m, square section Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 0000 930 2613 Suitable for the following Stihl...

How long is that realistically going to last? 400 metres of wire seems like a lot but I get a feeling it’s not…