Brushcutter Advice/starting out strimming etc.

Donnie

3 hours ago, doobin said:

I could still 'out-strim' anyone here who wishes to throw their hat into the ring. @Stubby? 🤣

This I don't doubt Doobs . The whole processes makes my old body ache matey . I do agree if its just grass thinner line  is better . When we used to have our little " debate " I was clattering down all kinds of vegetation and found the 4.0mm square better but yes , on grass 2.5 --2.7 is best . 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Aye I will more than likely be getting the 461 model with a long shank. 

Also there is usually two different attachment points on the harness ( there is on the husky one anyway )

2 hours ago, 5thelement said:

I’ve done a fair bit on these machines over the years.

I have a mix of Stihl/ Husqvarna machines of varying sizes for different uses. 
Husky 535/555rxt and Stihl 461 for trimmer cord/grass blades/mulcher blades. These are mostly used for ride widening, maintaining mountain bike tracks and clearing around newly planted tree to allow access for spraying or to avoid spraying altogether.

I have a short shaft Stihl 461 and a Husky 555fxt with thumb throttle and heated handles for clearing saw blades. 
These are used purely for spacing out plantations and on conservation sites that don’t allow forestry mulching machines on site , RSPB/Conservation sites where ground nesting birds and habitat destruction are an issue.

I would contact any local conservation Charities and see what they come back with, the work would be intermittent and seasonal but I would regularly have at least six weeks per year booked in for four guys at £250 per day, and similar for spraying, gave everyone a break from hand cutting for a while, that’s going back 5 years or so. 

is that mtb trails in france?

A lot of people telling me to get different types of heads etc. 

Is this something that is worth looking into a bit later on down the line, will the standard head on this 461 get me by?

WWW.RADMORETUCKER.CO.UK

Long shaft version ideally suited to users over 190 cm tall. For working in challenging areas of tough grass. Large cutting...

4 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Is this something that is worth looking into a bit later on down the line, will the standard head on this 461 get me by?

WWW.RADMORETUCKER.CO.UK

Long shaft version ideally suited to users over 190 cm tall. For working in challenging areas of tough grass. Large cutting...

It’s a good head, I just find the auto cut 25 easier around obstacles. The 40 feels numb in comparison once you’ve tried the 25. 

but it’ll do all you want for now and it comes with the strimmer. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Donnie said:

WWW.RADMORETUCKER.CO.UK

I’m 6ft 4 and didn’t know they did a long shaft version - I have a standard 461’s as said great brushcutter but we use ours for shredding blade work. Upgrade your harness as standard is awful for long days 

2 hours ago, JLA1990 said:

I’m 6ft 4 and didn’t know they did a long shaft version - I have a standard 461’s as said great brushcutter but we use ours for shredding blade work. Upgrade your harness as standard is awful for long days 

Heard to upgrade the harness too, do you find the standard one is a bit short? On the info it says anyone over 190cm - long shaft. 

54 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Don’t plant monkey puzzles Jake, you can’t ‘maintain’ them as such.

I realize for a tree surgeon they’d be an absolute twat, just thought they looked quite cool.