PAYE people....when do your hours start?

stewmo

Was pondering this today....

If you are PAYE do you clock in/off on arrival to/leave the yard or when you arrive/leave job site?

This would make quite a bit of difference in hours across a week/month/year?

Being self employed on a day rate this is irrelevant!

Thanks

Às far as I know it should be when you get to the yard and when you leave said yard at the end of the day. It's not your problem that the job is 2 hours away. You've turned in at the stated time. You should be paid 

• Like 8

A lad who used to work for me had been with a boss who only started the payable hours when the team got to sight. I don't know what planet the employer thought he was on, nor how he got away with such outright abuse. Maybe because it was in an area with high unemployment? Still utterly wrong.

• Like 1

All I can add is that travel time for the team from base... if you are picked up / dropped off on the way out and back that is a bonus but still should be paid as if you were leaving from your regular place of work - the yard or wherever

(would be silly sometimes to do a job 5 mins in one direction but to travel 20 mins in the other to officially 'start' work at the yard)

I had one place that paid everyone else from their door to the factory as we were all mobile.

But because I was within half an hour I didn't get it, so that didn't last long when I got shafted for an hour a day.

Seen that before where you work from home but travel to site / clients, they say a daily commute to work is nominal - half hour perhaps - you clock on when you get in the van, clock off at home again and all hours are counted except that 2x half hour - the rational being you would be commuting for that 30 minutes anyway (ignoring that your place of work - the van - is 30 seconds away). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Seen that before where you work from home but travel to site / clients, they say a daily commute to work is nominal - half hour perhaps - you clock on when you get in the van, clock off at home again and all hours are counted except that 2x half hour - the rational being you would be commuting for that 30 minutes anyway (ignoring that your place of work - the van - is 30 seconds away). 

I get the idea, but I had to be there at say 7.

I'd have to leave at 6.30 whilst my workmates didn't leave till until 7 and left work early to get home for end of the shift or that was overtime.

So realistically I was getting the dirty end of a stick, when I did leave it was a line of us as we were fed up of it.

• Like 1