Depression

eggsarascal

I think Egger need to get to the doctor smartish before it gets any worse . Back in the day I had something similar ( girl friend related ) . I just ground to a halt  work wise . Could not seem to do anything . Went to the quack , was open and honest with him . He prescribed some pills . About a months worth . I took them for about two days and felt a lot better . Flushed the rest down the can and moved on . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, peds said:

Man, patronising doesn't even begin to cover it. What a joke.

"Have you tried just... not thinking about it? "

image.thumb.jpeg.ff9bbca83b5c8799f25c5950289f05c2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm wary of giving & taking medical advice on the internet; and so should you be too.

But I'll just pass on my experience: as an anecdote.

Try sitting by a waterfall for a couple of hours

Years back now I was feeling permanently a bit shit, I was still doing a bit of fishing though and one day, having been out fishing off the dam at a small pond, I came home, had a tin of Heinz tomato and an orange and went to bed. I woke up the next morning feeling as if my mental curtains had been drawn back, the windows flung wide open and a new spring day had been let into my room.

I tried the soup and oranges again thinking, vitamins, bright colours, but it wasn't that.

In later years I noticed the same thing whenever I visited that same small pond: I thought maybe it's just being out in the fresh air, miles away from traffic fumes.

It also reminded me that decades back my mate had a room deionizer and when left on overnight all the smoke and beer fumes had gone and in the morning the room smelt like sitting by a waterfall.

I was reminded of this more recently: another session at the same lake, sitting by the outflow (trying to) photograph wagtails; and again working down there in the same spot for an evening cutting back some undergrowth and fallen branches: both times I woke up the next morning feeling totally refreshed. A new day.

I should maybe mention now that the sluice on this small lake tumbles down over a 12-15 foot high waterfall. I had always been thinking in terms of the falling water ionizing the water and producing something like that room di-onizer which somehow overcomes any feelings of depression but never had enough (or thought upon it long enough) to tie all the bits together.

I took the BBC article (which mentions waterfalls) linked to above as another link in a possible chain.

Cold water swimming does wonders for mental health too, caveats apply but it does create one hell of a WOW moment.

All the best with yours; I used to go to bed and just say, "this feeling won't last forever, this feeling won't last forever" . Later I realised I wasn't saying it: I don't think it's passed, it just doesn't dominate any more.

• Like 3

People keep saying about cold water... cold showers, sea swimming, Wim Hoff, whatever... and I'm absolutely certain that it could help.

I'm just far too much of a big girl's blouse to get started on it.

• Like 2

Not an expert or luckily a sufferer but had an employee who suffered and researched to try to turn him around.

Diet kept appearing as important, plenty of variety and minimal UPF. The effect on your gut microbiome of UPF is scary, the chemicals produced in your gut are absorbed into your blood and affect your health, immune system etc, ie everything. The lad in question only eats processed food, zero fruit and veg.

Exercise. A friend has avoided winter SAD by jogging. Another friend has come off anti depressants by swimming, cold water probably more effective, but the impact of short term cold water therapy can be measured in our blood 6 months later!

Good luck.

• Like 1