Where is all the wood stuff

On 20/06/2024 at 07:58, trigger_andy said:

The wife decided not to have a letterbox in the new door so I was tasked with making a letterbox for the end of the drive. 

IMG_3682.jpeg

IMG_3686.jpeg

IMG_3808.jpeg

IMG_3829.jpeg

IMG_3830.jpeg

Nice use of timber but Concrete or post Crete is the worst thing for timber posts, traps the moisture and speeds decay?

• Like 2

On 20/06/2024 at 07:58, trigger_andy said:

The wife decided not to have a letterbox in the new door so I was tasked with making a letterbox for the end of the drive. 

IMG_3682.jpeg

IMG_3686.jpeg

IMG_3808.jpeg

IMG_3829.jpeg

IMG_3830.jpeg

I coulda dun better.

If I had the time, materials, knowledge and the skill like. :)

Come on people, I know there's plenty of skills above but I also know that there is lots more about.

3 hours ago, dan blocker said:

Nice use of timber but Concrete or post Crete is the worst thing for timber posts, traps the moisture and speeds decay?

We’ll see in a few decades I guess. 🤣

My understanding was decay set in at ground level when the wet/dry cycles of being in the earth takes it toll. 

Slow growth Oak heartwood fully encompassed below ground in concrete with no trapped moisture above. Fully coated in  Osmo Hardwax. 

Id be very surprised if I ever see any rot. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Id be very surprised if I ever see any rot. 

For buildings they seem to set the posts on stones with a locating spike or galvanised saddles but I have examples of sweet chestnut and oak heartwood posts that have survived 40 years in this sandy soil, not set in concrete though, just back rammed with stones and soil.

• Like 2

That's the best way to do it: stones and soil for wooden posts, (or hardcore better still), rammed in hard hard, and concrete for concrete posts.

Wooden posts concreted in invariably rot in a narrow band at ground level. Two inches above is fine, two inches below is fine, it's just that interface where you've got water and air present.

• Like 2