EMF

Johnsond

4 hours ago, Steven P said:

Couple of miles to the substation wouldn't bother me, pylons on the garden wall would.. but half mile or a mile away, not a problem to me

Different strokes for different folks.

This is true.

At 'home' the nearest pylons (275kV I think) were 3/4 mile away, no problems, the ones they joined onto the other way perhaps a mile and half (I think these have all been upgraded since). Here the nearest substation as the crow flies is about a mile (only 5 bays so a bit smaller than these, but you have to look carefully to see it), never had a problem with any of these, so yes, different for different people.

5 hours ago, Steven P said:

Couple of miles to the substation wouldn't bother me, pylons on the garden wall would.. but half mile or a mile away, not a problem to me

If you like substations, you should move to the Beauly area! The exisiting substation which has just been extended is about 50 acres, the new one will be about 1.3miles away as the crow flies, and a further 60 acres in size

1 hour ago, htb said:

The ones up here are very prominent and lit up like a Christmas tree.

Agreed 

The light pollution from just one at  New Deer is nuts. 
I do wonder how this would go down if it was ran through the Surrey countryside or one of the other prime locations down south. 

3 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Agreed 

I do wonder how this would go down if it was ran through the Surrey countryside or one of the other prime locations down south. 

Light pollution here is already so bad I can barely make out the Plough or Orion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Agreed 

Look at HS2 -  It might be a coincidence but they seem to have tunnelled under great swathes of land that are owned by those with money.

Speaking of money, did you see that Plaid Cymru are seeking to get some money from the offshore wind sector from The Crown Estate? I had never realised that windfarms pay rent to The Crown Estate.