EMF

Johnsond

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Says it's on hold, think they started one from Germany last month to somewhere on the south coast

Job I’m on at moment in Thames estuary is clearing uxo for the Neuconnect interconnector cable from isle of Grain to Emshaven 

NEUCONNECT-INTERCONNECTOR.COM

This is an example page. It’s different from a blog post because it will stay in one...

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Currently up here in Aberdeenshire 

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Job I’m on at moment in Thames estuary 

Did well to get from Aberdeenshire to Thames estuary in one hour.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Steven P said:

Inverse square rule, should be well safe at 100 to 150m away from the conductors.

Agree, but it seems the power insn't 2 in all cases

A whole website devoted to EMFs and health

The fact the brain works on charged ions conducting a current means it could be messed up bad if too close

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Did well to get from Aberdeenshire to Thames estuary in one hour.

Just done 8 weeks down there and home for a couple of weeks, I’ll be back there soon enough. Hope that clears things up for you. Thought it was that Welsh boy for a moment when I read your post. 

• Thanks 1

There's a house and land I've done work at for years, beautiful cottage, great location, plenty of acres. The downside is there's a pylon in the garden, 25m from the corner of the house. I don't know how true the stuff about the powerlines is, but not sure I would fancy that.

(house has just gone up for sale if anyone wants to take a chance on their health....)

4 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Was one of them not done recently? 

Cable has been/is being laid between the Shetlands and the receiving switching station in Caithness; that's built, switches etc are in place.  the building's ****ing mahoosive

45 minutes ago, nepia said:

Cable has been/is being laid between the Shetlands and the receiving switching station in Caithness; that's built, switches etc are in place.  the building's ****ing mahoosive

I thought so, some undertaking with the weather and tides up there. I worked on Scrabster deep water berth years ago and watched the Roundhead  piling destroyed 3 times before it was finally completed. 

2 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Agree, but it seems the power insn't 2 in all cases

A whole website devoted to EMFs and health

I don't know the details for this upgrade, but if they are just replacing the cables then any increase in EMF will not be as great as if they were installing newer larger towers. Suspect they are needing to replace the insulators and doing the cables at the same time - they would need replacing one day anyway.

If the towers are the same then the maximum load on them will not be changed, they cannot really install larger heavier cables. Use the same size cables and the current (amps) rating will be roughly the same, any increases will not be in proportion to 275:400.

6 hours ago, GarethM said:

It's supposedly more efficient the higher the voltage, is this also part of the link from Norway ?.

Not sure if they are dong another link but the Norway - UK link lands at Blyth - allows the UK to buy spare hydroelectricity from Norway... and in reverse we could sell them spare wind power to top up their hydro reserves.

Efficiency: At higher voltages you need less current (amps) to send the same power down the line. It is the current that causes most power losses - such as heating the wires - so if you can reduce the current it is more efficient. We can't go high voltage in the house else Mrs Miggins would blow her head off doing the toast in the morning, most of the power supplies in or around towns are no where near the 400kV in the question (You'd know if they were, the substations for that is quite large). 40KV will generally be well away from the population - soiling the view perhaps going over the endless plantations of spruce.

Edited by Steven P