Homeless

eggsarascal

Tip it onto the front, prop the lid open, stick a mattress and a blanket in it...  boom, one less homeless person. 

If we all chip in a bin or two we can solve this problem once and for all! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, difflock said:

I wonder what they are doing with all the unwanted 240l bins?

Ah!

The old green 240l general waste bins have been "converted" into your new general recycling bin.

The old blue 240l general recycling bins have been "converted" into your new paper/card only bin.

cue local uproar from people who can't read a leaflet :vollkommenauf:

(we sent very little paper/card for recycling, it is burnt on the stove/composted/used in the garden, so a paper only bin is surplus)

By "converted" they mean the bin man stuck a new sticker on the bins.

We live in exciting times

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, scbk said:

By "converted" they mean the bin man stuck a new sticker on the bins.

Their meant to be doing that to our green bin today ....

Edited by Logdaft

I use my green waste bin as a water butt

Alot better than most water buts as top is wide enough you you can dip a watering can in, unlike most others that are too narrow.

Also thoose cheap plastic taps at the  bottom of bought butts are totally useless imo as they  takes ages to fill a watering can and break easy as the plastic gets brittle.

Having say 10 or 20 bins daisy chained etc  would be even more useful to store more water.

Reuse is more eco than recycle

• Like 4

Square profile of recycling bins is a more efficient use of space as well, like square plant pots.

Yes, standard water butt taps are crap, useless if you're trying to do some serious watering. I've replaced mine with 1/2 turn 3/4" taps. Much better, it gushes out, almost as quick to fill as dunking the can. Still plastic though, so don't last that long. I'm on the hunt for a metal version, but no luck yet.

Can you just poke some plumbing through it, a threaded connection with a washers and bolts to seal it and then any old ball valve? (I haven't ever looked at this but you must be able to get a suitable externally threaded pipe)

27 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Can you just poke some plumbing through it, a threaded connection with a washers and bolts to seal it and then any old ball valve? (I haven't ever looked at this but you must be able to get a suitable externally threaded pipe)

Yep, you can do what you want really, fit any size/kind of tank fitting, just depends what size hole you drill. Easy enough to do as water butts are polyprop. Also, need to be able to reach inside to access the locking nut.

I've only used the 3/4" plastic taps as they are the same thread and diameter size as those that come with the butts, so no extra work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

I have "joined" my two plastic drums for use as butts by filling a hose with water, weighting each end so they drop to the bottom and looping it between both drums while not allowing any air in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

Yep, you can do what you want really, fit any size/kind of tank fitting, just depends what size hole you drill. Easy enough to do as water butts are polyprop. Also, need to be able to reach inside to access the locking nut.

Just borrow children and drop them inside till they get the seal right - borrow children cause you can give them back once dirty, use your own and you have to clean and dry them after, PITA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1