Chainsaw boot alternative

Mark Bolam

I punted on a 'barely used' pair of these on ebay - had a year out of them so far and looking good for at least one more year. Probably would pay the new price - I like the Haix airpower range, comfy for me and hard wearing

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

You never compromise. This is ensured by the resistant outer leather. The right shoe for your feet. The integrity of your feet is essential. The boot is therefore equipped with a composite toe...

• Like 1

SKYLANDEQUIPMENT.COM

The Haix Trekker is an ideal boot for climbing and forestry work, it is waterproof with a Gore-Tex lining and a class 1...

I've a pair of these and they still keep water out for the best part. But I have put the saw through them and had a major falling out with a barb wire fence...

They're light too, dunno how well they'd do on the climbing though. 

Its a bit like seeking out the holy grail really,a lot of boots including 'high end' ones,are obviously aimed at fell walkers with too much dosh with too many issues for daily work,too heavy/no toecaps/need loving care and so on.Still, I'm grateful for the progress that's been made over the years.No more frankenstein type,ludicrously heavy boots that suited deep sea divers more than outdoor workers.The placcy/composite toecaps plus midsoles make these so much nicer to live with.

i dont do arb work but dad a car mechanic, im an agricultural mechanic.
£150 on a pair of either laceup or dealer caterpillar safety boots and we usually change em after two years as by then the inner soles have worn down to the metal safety plates on the heal so not as comfy for all day wearing - work pays for replacements.
however the soles are perfectly fine and generally all in decent shape other than fabric/leather loss over the steel toe.
i personally see no need to spend anymore money or change.

the only reason to not get some would be if you wanted high top laceups for a bit more ankle support...

Edited by Ollie_M

My default footwear for most of the year is Rigger Boots, though I seem to go through them at an alarming rate. I've never tried cutting an old pair with a chainsaw, but I expect they'd give adequate protection against a glancing strike. 

Obviously no use at all for climbing, so I apologise for that. 

Got the older style of this boot had them over 10 years, wear them to look at work and deer stalking, very lightweight and comfy out of box. 

LOWAMILITARYBOOTS.COM

LOWA Seeker GORE-TEX S3 safety boots feature a modern trekking look with the upper material...

25 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

My default footwear for most of the year is Rigger Boots, though I seem to go through them at an alarming rate. I've never tried cutting an old pair with a chainsaw, but I expect they'd give adequate protection against a glancing strike. 

Obviously no use at all for climbing, so I apologise for that. 

I've spiked in riggers. Crap, obviously.