How much should you pay?

Czlowiek Drzewo

The PL cover, as a subby, is not essential as the co you are subbing to should cover you while working for him on his jobs. However as a bona fide sub-contractor, you are taking the job on in your own right, therefore require cover for your work. It is not a legal requirement (wrongly IMO) but one of the basic things to be recognised as truly self-employed by the HMRC is accepting the risk for works you carry out, and having PL cover proves that you accept risk professionally. I hope I've explained this correctly:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i not paying enough?

Learner groundsman ( brush dragger etc ) - 50

experienced groundsman - 70 -

Learner climber - 70

Intermediate climber - 80

EXP climber 100 - 150

Just sometimes i get guys calling me for work just out of college and telling me they are after 100 a day. :laugh1::laugh1: Really annoys me as i started on 30 a day and only made 80 a day after 8 years.

Just curious as don't know how much others pay.

Sounds like the going rates down here.

What do you think is the equivalent to these rates for paye?

sounds spot on to me but i think the most fustrating thing is that generally its not enough in terms of the job itself as you can go get a job washing up in a pub while listening to your i pod for 60 quid a day :confused1:which i guess is why some guys think they will be earning more for swinging a chainsaw around (which you probably should be) but life just aint like that :thumbdown:

The PL cover, as a subby, is not essential as the co you are subbing to should cover you while working for him on his jobs. However as a bona fide sub-contractor, you are taking the job on in your own right, therefore require cover for your work. It is not a legal requirement (wrongly IMO) but one of the basic things to be recognised as truly self-employed by the HMRC is accepting the risk for works you carry out, and having PL cover proves that you accept risk professionally. I hope I've explained this correctly:001_rolleyes:

Andy, thats wrong understanding of the word risk!! Another confusion.

"risk" in self employed terms means financial, not risk of damage to property which therefore needs insurance!!

Your right about what the HRMC say about insurance and bona fide subcontractors, but like you say you don't have to have it.

So you can be a BSC without insurance, and conversly having insurance does not make you genuinly self employed. It is perfectly plausable to define your self as self employed or BSC without giving money away to insurance companies!

Hi guys

For me there is a grey area here, I spent 22yr in the army and have now moved into this world, while training in Kent we were getting £50 per day for work experiance. After the course was finished I stayed on with the company for £100 per day then moved back to Scotland.

When jobs come up on here and I am asked what im looking for per day then i was saying £100 as thats what I was on before but it seems that £100 per day was pretty good for a newbie.

Would it not be an idea to let poeple know what your willing to pay rather than asking what there looking for?

Just a thought!

Would it not be an idea to let poeple know what your willing to pay rather than asking what there looking for?

Just a thought!

Lets say I am willing to pay £110 but ask you what you want & you want £90. I am on a winner.

Lets say I want to pay £90 but you want £110. You might still take the job but leave soon after for the extra £20 so I will have extra costs re advertising the job & the lost time.

So employers ask what you want so they can win both ways.

Plus for the right person they might up the wage to secure you, but they are not going to offer that wage in the advert so you might not apply.