Best mower for churchyards

miker

I cut grass in a grave yard on a voluntary basis in between council contractor's cuts which are only 2 or 3 times a year.

The ground is uneven and the contractors have given up mowers and strim everything. I tried a petrol hover mower but it's no good on uneven ground as it fails to lift.

Strimming works best but is tiring and makes a mess if the grass gets long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Decro said:

I cut grass in a grave yard on a voluntary basis in between council contractor's cuts which are only 2 or 3 times a year.

The ground is uneven and the contractors have given up mowers and strim everything. I tried a petrol hover mower but it's no good on uneven ground as it fails to lift.

Graveyards are usually strimmer terrain in my experience too

2 hours ago, Decro said:

Get yourself a Hayterette.....its wider than the designated earlier Hawk graveyard mower but a similar design. Built like a barn door and will cope with hitting anything it shouldn't due to its 'swinging blade' design. Seriously.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AJStrees said:

What about a push along strimmer or self propelled. 

Some ideas on this link.

WWW.MOWDIRECT.CO.UK

Wheeled strimmers - also known as trimmer mowers - are designed for the rapid clearance of long grass, tall weeds and overgrowth found in those areas of your garden that are...

Repaired a few of those over the years bloody things....🤬

Thanks for all the replys, only trouble with the hayterette is that there is no drive, im 55 so not wanting to push a mower for 7 hours a day, one of the churchyards is on a hill too, im knackered with a driven mower at the end of the day, 30 odd years at it has  taken its toll on my poor knees etc

Without knowing the scale/terrain of the sites its hard to be precise,but I would go for a 40cc cowhorn handlebar strimmer with 3mm+ square line/a big 60cc backpack blower to clean the slabs off plus a small boy with a tarp/large plastic rake to deal with the residual grass clippings where needed.Pay him with hamburgers and gravely point out the end result of disagreeing with his elders by nodding at some of the artistic momuments?