New Defra figures on Air Pollution from " Domestic Combustion" show PM2.5 emissions fall by 4% in a period when stove sales rose by 40%.

New figures release by Defra show that PM2.5 emissions show an 18% reduction since 2012 and 2022.  

Read the full report here:

https://stoveindustryassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/240215SIAStatementAirPollutionStatsFINAL.pdf

Profesional members here are encouraged to use this data when talking to the public about installing a stove and the future of firewood as a fuel,  there is no cost to you for doing so.  The public should be encouraged to replace open fires which are usually around 20% efficient and older less efficient and less clean stoves with a 2022 compliant stove that is ultra clean and ultra efficient.    I now have one stove ( Charnwood Haven) at 90% efficient  and many in the upper 80s,    so x4 the heat from the same volume of fuel as an open fire ,  or,  the same heat level but only using 25% of the fuel to do it.    

At a national SIA meeting last autumn DEFRA advised the meeting that once gas boilers are banned from being installed into new properties ( 2030) then heating plan is air source heat pumps supported by wood burning stoves providing zonal heating in specific areas of a property.

A

• Like 5

Who's going to tell Thanet and Drax that due to a massive increase in demand for firewood their supply will be logged and not chipped?!

Will serve them right 🤭

They get their supplies mainly in pellet form from diseased softwood trees from the USA and Canada,     none the less chip demand in the UK is leading to a shortage in timber for firewood use.   

A

20 minutes ago, Botty Cough said:

Just burn coal then if there's some spare emissions available.

Being Drax, would that be from the literal coal field it was built on.

Maybe we call it zero carbon miles coal ?.

I still can't understand in this emissions bs, how the Germans & Greece can burn lignite. Yet we can't burn coal.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

Being Drax, would that be from the literal coal field it was built on.

Maybe we call it zero carbon miles coal ?.

I still can't understand in this emissions bs, how the Germans & Greece can burn lignite. Yet we can't burn coal.

Yeah it's quite an interesting load of BS if you can be bothered to go down the rabbit hole...

I'm a selfish person with no kids so just do whatever I feel like but what ever we burn it's going to have a cause of effect.

I'm for nuclear power .

• Like 1

I come at this from a slightly different angle at times.... though about a month into the lockdown with limited traffic the air quality was noticeably better... so why not reduce emissions just for that?

Anyway, oil is going to run out in my lifetime (according to Google), not sure the Ukraine war was a good advert of securing our energy supplies from overseas, whatever we can generate ourselves is going to be a bonus. So I'd go for green energy as soon as we can, eke out the oil reserves till we can live without it. Small nuclear reactors will take about 10 years? from concept idea to commissioning I think for the medium term.

Noting that the oil producing countries are generally controlled by the unhinged or regimes that are not stable. Extend the Israel-Gaza conflict and our oil supplies could be limited. Annoy Putin too much and his oil that gets to Europe in a round about way could be limited. Buy too much wood chip from the US and all it takes is a vengeful lunatic president and we could be in trouble, we are lucky that neither of their next presidential hopefuls are unhinged or going senile.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Air travel releases very fine particles into the Jetstream, which causes cloud formation etc.

You could surmise old air travel was much lower, pre air pressurisation so didn't cause problems with weather.