Old saws

gobbypunk

They are worth the sum that someone will pay for them. 

Someone said it is amazing what someone on eBay will pay for non working saws......this sort of tells you something: -

The best option is always to sell as single units to anyone on the UK mainland on eBay

The next best option is to sell all three to anyone on the UK mainland

The next best is buyer to collect a single saw

The next best is buyer to collect all three

Gumtree - bit of a minefield and is one up from a car boot....give you a quid for it guv!!

I have sold and purchased saws and other goods on eBay. I have done a bit here and there so personally, I would list each saw to end on Sunday evening, start the bids at £1 and let the good times roll.

If you don't do this...and it is entirely up to you Mark, you will get less money and probably considerably less but they are your saws and your choice!

Easter is coming - damn good time to get the saws up and most people have absolutely no knowledge of the value of things they own......I sold a 171 owned by a family member to a neighbour - he thought £30-40 was fair....I got £120 as the money was going to charity and it was a later model in clean condition, the neighbour was over the moon (after an afternoons tuition) and the family member was somewhat surprised.....everyone is happy.

I echo (excuse the pun) what spud said above. I would add good, clear photos are a must. Give the saws a clean up first as well......apply 'bullshit spray' if you have any......commonly known as silicone dashshine/bumper cleaner/tyre shine, as the plastics will come up nice for the pics.

A good description helps to sell.....an honest one sells better than a short cagey one.

Offer postage if you have a box to put them or it in....you will always get more than if you list as collection only.

If I want to collect a 2nd hand thing I'll go to Gumtree, if i want it posted to me I'll go to ebay. A frustration of mine is "spare or repairs, none runner" with no clue about why it is a none runner - a decent description will save you hassles later.

If you think they are easy fixes suggest you what you think the problem is.. with a disclaimer of course.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Steven P said:

If I want to collect a 2nd hand thing I'll go to Gumtree, if i want it posted to me I'll go to ebay. A frustration of mine is "spare or repairs, none runner" with no clue about why it is a none runner - a decent description will save you hassles later.

If you think they are easy fixes suggest you what you think the problem is.. with a disclaimer of course.

You have to cater for the idiots and chancers. Putting in the description what may be the issue as to why a machine is for spares or repair is as nearly as good as stating it IS definitely the reason. I have had several of instances on various 'ebay' forums whereby a buyer has had a successful refund on a spares or repair item where the seller stated in the description 'compression feels fine, so I don't think that is the issue'

When the buyer received it, the compression was far from fine. The seller genuinely felt he was being honest and helpful, but bit him in the backside.

Best to state proven facts that cannot be disputed rather than opinions and subjective descriptions.

but that puts me off generally. Every now and then I'll send a message to ask for more details but if I don't get anything I won't put a bid on - say a £50 'spares or repair' might need fresh fuel, adjustment and a good clean, it might need a new cylinder so I'd like a clue what kind of repair is needed, might get more bids that way.

I've had a few fixer saws from Gumtree and not had any problems you just have to regulate your expectations and stick to your price range. If you just want rid of the saws put them on Gumtree or eBay at a price for the job lot and take near offers. Sell the tidy one separate if you want a bit more for it. Take the silencers off and check for piston damage, pull them over and check for sparks but don't make any wild claims and state no comebacks.

Couple of thoughts on this. If I'm not looking for much money, not in a rush to get rid of something or can't be bothered with posting it I use Gumtree. Local pickup. If I do want decent money and/or inpatient to get shot of something I go for eBay.

I think the description and photos are very important on either platform, eBay especially. The more detailed and honest the description the better, same with photos. I say this as a seller and a buyer. I'm much more tempted to bid on something that I can get a sense of the provenance of. If there's not much of a description it makes me think it's fcked or maybe been nicked. Timing is also worth considering. As Spud suggested Sunday evening is a good time to finish an auction, or any other time you think will get a large audience. Conversely, someone once told me  the best way to bag an eBay bargain is to look for auctions ending at odd or antisocial times, middle of the night etc.  Sound advice I think.

Beware eBay fees, they sting a bit!

• Like 1

I agree with all of the above really,as a seller-be honest,good piccies,as much history as poss.I usually list-happy to post,but local collection welcome too-for demo purposes plus the green crinklies can change hands.As a buyer I avoid peeps who are selling loads of small machinery-I doubt they barely test them.Also I avoid ex-local authority fleet machines/ex hire stuff-they will have q.possibly been serviced regularly,but in both cases will have been used by dozens of uncaring/inexperienced users.The ideal purchase is an item from a private seller who has recently downsized from a rural property.And yes,Ebay fees are NOT at all transparent-free listing or not.Its very easy to lose close to 25% of the sale price on a £200 item.So factor that in as far as poss.