Emergency TPO

Sarahsmile

Is there only certain trees that will get TPO’d, for example would you only get a TPO on a native tree like an oak but not on a non native like a sycamore or leylandi, fully understand there is other criteria, but just wondering if she phoned up the tree officer and said they want a tpo on a sycamore he would immediately say it doesn’t meet criteria without looking any further?

5 minutes ago, roys said:

Is there only certain trees that will get TPO’d, for example would you only get a TPO on a native tree like an oak but not on a non native like a sycamore or leylandi, fully understand there is other criteria, but just wondering if she phoned up the tree officer and said they want a tpo on a sycamore he would immediately say it doesn’t meet criteria without looking any further?

The largest factor is public amenity. 

So if its a high public visibility tree it will score higher on the assessment.  

Other factors like the trees size and condition are considered. 

Expediency has to be considered too. So if the tree is already under good arboricultural management and unlikely to be felled it would probably not be suitable for a TPO. 

However changes in land ownership or tip offs about likely development that threaten the tree make a TPO justifiable. 

Species isn't really a big factor. There are lots of good sycamore specimens. Think they get a bad rap as many think of them as weeds. 

Edited by whizzkid96
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

I did a very similar site a week or two ago. Two oaks, both 3-4' DBH, healthy and nice. Ring barked at 08:00 on a Saturday morning and shredded from a MEWP over the weekend along with umpteen other trees. Stern looks from passing busybodies, no doubt making calls to local authority phones that rang and rang until Monday morning. By then there were no trees to protect. 

All because it would have been something for objectors to get their hooks into. My client liked them and would have kept them but has a business to run and he knows the Sarahsmiles of this world would try to have control of his property taken from him. 

Honestly mate - can you drop the rant? I couldn’t give a flying fq what you think.

You portray the average property developer as akin to Mother Theresa, well let me fill you in - they aint. For the majority, their aim is to maximise profits, which means - squeeze em in. The idea that most care about neighbours or biodiversity etc is a load of old bollocks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sarahsmile said:

Honestly mate - can you drop the rant? I couldn’t give a flying fq what you think.

You portray the average property developer as akin to Mother Theresa, well let me fill you in - they aint. For the majority, their aim is to maximise profits, which means - squeeze em in. The idea that most care about neighbours or biodiversity etc is a load of old bollocks.

You don't like his opinion, but he's not being personal or rude to you.

Welcome to the Internet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Newton said:

You don't like his opinion, but he's not being personal or rude to you.

Welcome to the Internet. 

Erm, check back through the thread - he made it personal from the get go. And it’s obvious why, given his subsequent posts.

• Like 5

By way of update, the TO came on Friday morning - in the tipping rain. He did not appear to want to be there frankly.

The long/short being - he believes that the tree has sufficient amenity but given that the tree is not under ‘immediate threat’, he does not accept that it would warrant a TPO for the moment. He added that, theoretically, the developer could incorporate the tree within any development. When I suggested that the developer could simply remove the tree pre planning, he pretty much shrugged. He will ask his planning colleagues to watch out for any pre-planning application etc otherwise that’s it.

So there you go folks, dont expect your LPA to rush to help.

• Sad 1

Sometimes a TPO can be quick. When I worked on a farm, we had someone cutting a dyke with a vee bucket. In a 150 acre field, along the tree line. Friday afternoon, and there were a few branches in his way. I removed them with my saw, no problem, half an hour job. 

Monday morning, and the dyke had to be dug far enough away from the trees to avoid branches, as there was now a TPO on them, so I was told. This was over twenty years ago, mind.