The Arb Endgame

dmtowduall

7 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

In reality it’s the only way to make any serious coin in the sector.

As you've said a million times before and as I might have been better off believing one of those times. Ho hum.

Consultancy is quite rewarding but you'd probably have to do a stint as a tree surveyor. HUGE difference between being the person who potters about collecting tree data and the one that turns up in court or Inquiries or standing firm while getting the hardrier treatment from the MD of a development company. But if you go for surveying, you might as well think long term to doing proper consultancy. It would be brain death on its own.

I chucked a good salaried job to get into arb, thought I would work 4 days a week taking my time so that i would really only have to get through 3 days work in that time. No mortgage! A few years ago the sore bits all joined up in to one big sore body. Coming home for a quick dinner then off out to quote jobs, then going to the tip at 7am before meeting the guys on a site. It never ended. 

Sounds like you are not motivated to go it on your own as a contractor. It's exhausting getting started, and it never really stops.

I gave up contracting when it got too much, I already had a LOT of survey work so the transition was easy. 10 years on I am well qualified and chartered and enjoying it except that I am doing 9 days a week so it's becoming tiring.

A transition rather than a leap is a good idea. Maybe go 4 days a week and do some structured study the other day.

Make a plan with dates and targets. Write it down to force yourself to make choices. The plan will never quite work out, but it is a start and you can review it as often as you feel you need to. I did this and it was priceless. It didn't go as planned, but I got there anyway.

You cna PM me abut qualifications but be patient I am poor at seeing notifications.

• Like 1

28 years old and with experience.

What’s keeping you in the UK?

Go travelling, go somewhere the industry pays better.  See the world, have fun and save up whilst having fun.

Use the experience and extra money to further your position in life.

Good luck.

• Like 8

Re tree surveying.

I did the PTI course about 5yr ago, course was intense but enjoyable. All the guys I got to know passed, though I heard some others failed. There is a higher failure rate than most courses. Just do your prep beforehand, if you're interested in tree biology and fungi and read up you should be fine. Think you said you had done level 4 arb course so no worries.

I hadn't done any official arb theory courses before but had >5yrs on the tools and knew a few fungi. I have studied to degree level previously in the past as a nurse. So I knew how to study. A mix of years of hands on experience and reading is sufficient prep for most.

I now do surveys as a small part of my work, it's a bit of a change and requires different mental skills to tree work. I usually get to do the treework recomendations I suggest. Which kind of completes the circle. I get someone else in to do picus or if it's more than I can manage. I only do hazard inspections, not gone down the bs5387/trees and development route.it doesn't really appeal and I don't have the time to do the learning involved. The reports are often on a quicker turnaround than I can do with my treework being the main job.

Hope that helps a bit.

Jan.

I think you must visit a doctor, at 28 I work 7 days per week and hade a sex every night and drink every evening I am 48 now I do all the same except …………… well sex ,so you feeling that bad is up to no good it’s a depression or something ,maybe you need new woman or maybe new life .Apologies for my straight speech.