Tirfor type winch

Donnie

3 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

This is the one I bought

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

JET Rope Hoist - 1600kg capacity Safe, reliable and efficient range of lifting and pulling...

I like the price of that... swivel hook. Gonna give that a google right now. edit. Used them before and they're handy as. Are you better off using dyneema rope on these machinesv? I've heard it can hold a fair amount of weight before breaking

Edited by Donnie

1 hour ago, Donnie said:

Are you better off using dyneema rope on these machinesv

No, they work by clamping down on the cable, so it has to be the right size and type of cable for the one you have. I've got 20m and then if I need longer for a fell or something I put a doubled 14mm rigging line which is way above the 1.6t capacity of the winch.

Also you have to thread the cable through the machine so each time the whole thing needs laying out, more than 20m as well as being heavy would make this more of a pain.

20 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

No, they work by clamping down on the cable, so it has to be the right size and type of cable for the one you have. I've got 20m and then if I need longer for a fell or something I put a doubled 14mm rigging line which is way above the 1.6t capacity of the winch.

Also you have to thread the cable through the machine so each time the whole thing needs laying out, more than 20m as well as being heavy would make this more of a pain.

When i bought my Tirfor it came with a 50 metre rope. As you say, proper pain to use, so i have since got a 20m and a 10m rope too..

Is there not some sort of capstan winch that can be used with ordinary rope. This would be a thousand times better..

john.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, john87 said:

Is there not some sort of capstan winch that can be used with ordinary rope. This would be a thousand times better..

Yes, with a petrol engine. Maybe a thousand times better but sadly thick end of 10 times more expensive.

• Like 1

I’ll echo the others, a tirfor clone, great for the odd tree or when getting stuck.

slow and heavy but relatively cheap 

lives in a crate in the depths of the truck all but one day each year. 

just had a quick google, reckon the prices here have doubled since I got mine 5 years ago, mental 

On 03/02/2024 at 22:55, roys said:

I also found a motorbike front tyre works for me as storage method for the wire rope, there is a technique for putting it into and removing it from the tyre without dealing with loads of kinks. Which is basically rolling the tyre to remove the rope.

Yes I use a tyre to store my tirfor cable in. I also have two other tyres with steel extension cables with eyes at both ends. Having taken the tirfor to a job with the wrong tyre/cable I learnt to check carefully when loading up for the job!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Yes I use a tyre to store my tirfor cable in. I also have two other tyres with steel extension cables with eyes at both ends. Having taken the tirfor to a job with the wrong tyre/cable I learnt to check carefully when loading up for the job!

Ohhh that wouldn’t be a good day.

On 04/02/2024 at 13:46, roys said:

My clone in action

7F501F06-C4D7-49EB-A9A2-A1F285FF259A.jpeg

Just curious as to why you’ve chosen to put your sling so high up when  the tree your using as an anchor would be stronger if it was  around the base and the winch would be easier to operate if closer to the ground🤔

13 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

Just curious as to why you’ve chosen to put your sling so high up when  the tree your using as an anchor would be stronger if it was  around the base and the winch would be easier to operate if closer to the ground🤔

‘Tis a good question, I was using it to tension 55m of 12mm wire rope for a zip line so it is at that height to give it the correct droop height at the end of the run, just for us big kids and the little ones to play on.

• Like 2