Tirfor type winch

Donnie

I have never used the chinese clone things but i do have two genuine Tirfors. A 500kg rated "Jockey J5" which is an amazing really light bit of kit [wants to be for the price] and i also have a really lovely TU1.6 which is again, brilliant, but soooo heavy. You would not want to carry that far..

Quality though, you would not beat them..

john..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roys said:

I also found a motorbike front tyre works for me as storage method for the wire rope, there is a technique for putting it into and removing it from the tyre without dealing with loads of kinks. Which is basically rolling the tyre to remove the rope.

I have the cables for mine in tyres, It is by FAR the best way to store them especially when you consider the price of the cable..

john..

I’ve got a 5 ton clone from the ratchet shop with 40m of rope and regret it every time I have to lug it about, not much it won’t pull tho, it’s record is a canter loaded to about 5 ton and a 8 inch chipper both sat on there belly. It was 3 hours of sweat and swearing to get across that lawn the customer said was growing through hard stand and we could drive over it no bother🤯

I've realized even reading all these comments that I know nothing of winches so this will be a learning curve for me. 

Any links to said winches would be grand. I'm on Google just now and there's absolutely thousands.

FC has a   pdf on winching.

https://cdn.forestresearch.gov.uk/2004/01/fctg001.pdf

There seems to be an  endless number of  different brands of tirfor clones at various prices ive no idea about quality v tirfor , but  have used a few   clones that seemed ok.

The cheap ACE ones, is the brand realted to this company thats  based in Scotland?

Alfred Cheyne Engineering Ltd

Probaby not related....?

Edited by Stere

Hi All,

If i was going to get a clone one, i would get one of these Yale ones, as at least they are from a reputable firm. These ones have a steel case, but i think they do alloy ones too.. They are £470 including the rope, so that seems very good as the same but a Tirfor one is nearly £1700.. It would be my choice anyway..

WWW.SAFETYLIFTINGEAR.COM

Yale YS16T Yaletrac 1600kg Wire Rope Cable Puller c/w 20mtr Rope from SafetyLiftinGear. Yale YS16T Yaletrac 1600kg Wire Rope Cable Puller

see here

WWW.CMCO.COM

With a history spanning over 150 years, Columbus McKinnon is a global leader in lifting, material handling, and intelligent motion control technology.

You won’t regret getting one either a Tirfor or the clone I have both, they have saved me many a time because as well as the tree stuff it has pulled quad bikes, loaders and pickup trucks out of the mud, it also pulled a transit out of a ditch, and I use it for tensioning a zip line. It is the 1.6t ones I use, and probably use it once or twice a month.