Vintage Axes and Garden Equipment

spudulike

Getting these axes back up to scratch and using them is a decent and interesting pastime and you always wonder of their past life and hopefully are giving them another 50-100 years if you do a decent job on them.

I still use the Fiskars for splitting the big stuff but now have a decent collection of smaller axes for larger kindling.

Here is the latest project, another Brades...............IMG_20240213_192920318.thumb.jpg.45acec1fd8b88637bf1fb31261baeb26.jpgIMG_20240213_192938217.thumb.jpg.a85113f7578a61dea1880427bd9e91c5.jpgIMG_20240213_193015706.thumb.jpg.c9a0b3f414627cf28e02306780ba2d8c.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Steven P said:

For kindling I use a no-name DIY warehouse hatchet - great if you use them for that - wouldn't even consider going across the grain with it though - I need a better collection of axes I think, 

watch out axe collecting is like saws you could end up with a lot 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david lawrence said:

Once you have them buffed up do they just need a wipe with oily rag to keep rust away?

Never found rust to be much of a problem, maybe as the old tools were quality, high carbon steel. I don't do anything to mine and they only ever suffer from very light surface rust. Which can be easily removed with wire wool, though I don't normally bother and they cut just fine if the edge is sound.

• Like 1

What are the edges of a Brades or Elwell like quality wise?

Spent many a day splitting logs with an old felling axe as that was all we ever had. A splitting maul was an absolute revelation.

Then when I became rich and famous (by that I mean I actually had some money in my pocket for once) I bought a Gransfors Bruk axe. I cut my finger on that and was absolutely amazed that you could even do that with an axe. The edge on that thing is something else.

Have I just been used to what would have been the equivalent of a B&Q axe back then and the Brades and Elwell would have been as sharp as a Grunsfors?

I don't have much experience with Elwell, but the edges on all the Brades tools I have are great. They easily take a razor sharp edge and hold it for ages.

Talking of sharpening, I use a Grunsfors "Axe Stone" for axes. They make easy, quick work of it as you can do a nice circular motion over the edge. Not cheap though, like anything Grunsfors, but worth it.

I have noticed some  axes will  rust fast while  others hardly  at all must be different steels.

For a splitting maul I don't think sharpness is that important but the the right blade profile is, whereas for  a felling axe both sharpness & blade profile is important.

I don't think there are many vintage axes &  UK axes   about  that are designed as   cleaving or   splitting  mauls/axes like the bruk maul?

Maybe they weren't a common thing until more recently  but im not sure  why as so many different  axe head patterns etc in the old catalogues....?

& only  one maul....

image.png.881ef9be45d154522bf00c7b836979c7.png

Ben Scott on youtube is good on axes:

https://www.youtube.com/@benscottwoodchopper/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Edited by Stere
  • Like 3