Dupuytren's Contracture

maybelateron

19 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

As it stands, I have no pulling in of the fingers, so it’s just a lump, been there more than 20 years iirc.

I had just thought it was a callous till you talked about it.

Fingers crossed for you, no pun intended. One would think you will get away with it now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roboted said:

I turned down the op(s) in 2015 as I couldn't afford the recovery time whilst trying to get back into work. I was told then, 8 to 10 weeks a paw with no driving for 4 to 6 weeks.

A year later I sorted out my retirement plan and so at 61 i did. Left it and now I can't even get onto a waiting list with our local health system. Hey ho, adapt and improvise 

I am sorry to hear of your situation, must be very frustrating with it to that extent in both hands. I don't understand why you say you can't get on a waiting list in your area. I know the NHS is in a mess, but your degree of DC is still something that merits an appointment with a surgeon, even if you have to wait for ages for it.

Hope your recovery goes well mate.

Will regular stretching help stop it happening to the rest of us?

I worked with one old boy who would regularly bend down to put his saw down at bait time but when he stood up his saw would come with him again.

His hands are basically like permanent fists now.

Years on big saws with no AV at all.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I don't know in short, but I guess the fact you can get night splints for it suggests there is at least no harm in trying stretching. 

I am going to try and get some fingerless gloves, with gel pads in the palm area, to wear under my disposable work gloves. I am hoping they can reduce the vibration my hands are exposed to, and also the sideways shearing force when climbing.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I wondered this too. I have stretches from the physio to "open up" palms, fingers, and forearms, she sometimes uses a metal scraper thing across the palms and arms too.

I'll be honest, I do the exercises she tells me to do but not always sure why I'm doing them! Need to ask if it helps in relation to this Dupuytren...

• Like 1

On 17/01/2024 at 19:04, 5thelement said:

I’m pretty sure Margaret Thatcher had the same operation .It was the ‘hands turning into a claw’ that jogged my memory, she kept the horns and tail well hidden though.

I remember this being on the news about her as my dad had the same thing. He never did anything about it though as he was in enough pain from his ankylosis spondylitis and didnt want more time in hospital.

I had my one week follow up appointment today. Dressing taken off and wound checked. Stitches to stay in for another week. Can drive once stitches out.

Physio made me a splint, using thermoplastic. I have to use this at night for the next 4 months. This is to prevent the scar tissue from any contraction. I can now start bending my fingers to mobilise them.

I asked the physio if night splinting has a role in slowing down the progression of early DC. Her view was a definite no, the reason for this being the risk that prolonged pressure on the fibrous tissue might act as a stimulant to accelerate the process in the same way manual work can. Interesting thought.

Photo of wound attached, along with one of splint. It is obvious already that the surgeon has achieved very good correction of the deformity for me.

Before one of you makes the wisecrack about the splint: I can confirm this is for my hand, not the rare related condition affecting the penis, Peyronie's disease!Splint.thumb.jpeg.648ae87e205d0d7a1e4ebbfb405e26d7.jpeg

Left hand post op 2.jpeg

• Like 5