Recently qualified

william g

At 16 it is going to be a little trickier to break into the industry without transport... but hopefully potential employers can see past no bike and too young to drive (not all 16 year olds have cash for lessons, a bike, insurance, fuel).

What about public transport, where are you able to get to in a morning? (without giving away too much personal information). You might be able to reply here saying "no transport but I can get to these places for a morning pick up and drop off if that is convenient". Sometimes it will work out well that whoever is driving that day will be passing your house and get you from there, other days you might need an early start and the first bus to get 10 miles away for a lift - start doing some good selling of yourself here, someone might be watching this as a part of in interview process and your willingness to put yourself forward

On 09/01/2024 at 20:00, AHPP said:

When you get a trial day, however keen you are to impress, LOOK AFTER YOUR BACK. If someone wants you to break it for them, move on. Don't be a poof but don't be taken advantage of. Good luck. 

So so true. At 16 you just don't think much about stuff like this. I'm sure we've all done it but I spent the first 12 years of my working life going at things like a bull in a china shop- paying the price now though, and supposedly I'm meant to be working for another 30 odd years. Use your brain as much as you can- it will make things easier for your body😁

• Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 20:00, AHPP said:

When you get a trial day, however keen you are to impress, LOOK AFTER YOUR BACK. If someone wants you to break it for them, move on. Don't be a poof but don't be taken advantage of. Good luck. 

This fella is youngish and knows his stuff in life, bolshy, but knows his stuff. If I’d got my time over I’d listen to him, and his father. 

don’t stress about transport, having a can do attitude goes a long way. my first tree job i used to ride my bike to the station, get a train, then ride to the yard. don’t stress about having a car or moped, just work towards it. personally if you can manage without a moped then save up for a car and some lessons and you’ll be sorted. turning up on time and getting stuck in goes way further than having motorised transport at 16 imo 

• Like 5

I did gently wonder whether the OP might be a troll. Someone newly qualified hasn't just passed 30 and 31; they've passed 30.1 and 30.2 (or whatever it is now). A fairly weak one though, if it is. Trolls at least respond. What it probably is, is a bloody weak attempt a carrying through with the thread's stated aim. I got a nothing answer to my (entirely pertinent) question and then ignored after the follow up. I wasn't asking him if he can travel ten miles for fun. I was asking him because I know a guy ten miles away from him that I could probably get him a few days for. Am I bollocks going to now. I'm not putting my name alongside the bereft of gumption. If you do check back, william g, take it more seriously next time. If this thread was mine, I'd have been glued to it and chasing everything on it.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 3

William

Qualifications are good

Experience is great

Own transport desirable

But it all comes down to attitude, if you have a good attitude (On time every day, polite, hard working, self starter, pride in quality work and a hard worker, not competing for the stand around olympics......) you will beat 80% plus of 16 year  olds (in our experience) and be an asset  to a company.