Recently qualified

william g

A great start, someone will be interested.

So sell yourself.....

Do you have any experience so far, apart from the assessments - not necessary, someone will be interested if you have the right attitude

What about grafting first before you do anything interesting, a few months doing the boring jobs - lifting, carrying, sweeping up, making a brew, could get you a foot in the door and show your work ethics

....and a million and one other questions...

So over to you, sell yourself (remember that this is a public forum, no personal details, they can e-mail you if they want to know more). At 16 years old no one will be expecting a 20 page CV but might want to know a bit more about you as a person, would you fit in to a team, would you be an asset in a years time or a liability, what are your interests when it comes to working, what would you love to do

So sell yourself... 

(and if it all goes wrong no one in the area, this forum is pretty good with helpful tips, but they will get distracted within about 6 posts)

When you get a trial day, however keen you are to impress, LOOK AFTER YOUR BACK. If someone wants you to break it for them, move on. Don't be a poof but don't be taken advantage of. Good luck. 

• Like 5

Hi William. I don't know anyone in your area, but my advise would be (and some may disagree with me)

Contact some local companies and offer yourself for a day working for free. A day is enough to give a good impression.  I normally make my mind up about people within 10 minutes.

If you can , try a few companies.  Everyone does things differently.  And I have to tell you, all outfits aren't good. You can actually learn as much, if not more with a bad company than a good one sometimes, but you don't want to get stuck with a bad company. So if you can, work for a few before you commit yourself to one. Good luck 👍 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, william g said:

Hi, I'm looking for an apprentaship/job in the abourculture industry, in or around High Wycombe Buckinghamshire. I have recently passed my CS30, CS31 and my NPTC assesment. I am 16 & i'm hard worker.  

Have you got a motorcyle?

• Like 2

Attitude is most important, but please get spelling right as this is your first impression. Job applications, tree reports, quotations, tpo applications- all rely on what you write rather than how you come across as a person 👍

• Like 1

As AHPP has stated above, get yourself a scooter or 50cc bike. Yes, some employers will accept that you will get to work by other means, but having your own transport is a big bonus. 

Have you contacted any local estates/companies?

Have you contact any companies?

Have you contacted the local council?

Just a few ideas....

Unfortunately, all i can offer is advice, but the lads and lasses on here will offer support and advice to try and help you along your way. Just ensure you put the time and effort into ringing round and emailing. Don't approach with a chip on your shoulder as most will just judge. 

good luck and keep us updated 

Having your own transport will be a major factor in your favour. Get lessons now, book a test for your 17th birthday, find some cheap little banger. 

Try and get experience with reversing a trailer ASAP too. Hugely useful skill that will set you apart from some other candidates.