Tree ID

Yellow heartwood, then starts fading to brown after being cut. It’s heavy/dense, has very tight growth rings. It reminds me of locust or mulberry but the bark doesn’t have the thick spines and it’s lighter colored. There’s a bunch cut down and I could take it for firewood but idk what it is yet. ThanksIMG_2738.thumb.jpeg.b44abbebfce80913b83150803bdcbba8.jpegIMG_2738.thumb.jpeg.b44abbebfce80913b83150803bdcbba8.jpegIMG_2739.thumb.jpeg.eacb259ffec4b4fd1b0d8b761d369edc.jpegIMG_2739.thumb.jpeg.eacb259ffec4b4fd1b0d8b761d369edc.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Ailanthus?

I looked up Ailanthus but they say that’s not a hardwood. This is very dense and heavy so I’m leaning towards no. But that was a good guess though. The outside has some similarities, the way the bark looks. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s technically a hardwood, but yes very light, so if yours is heavy then no.

Why isn’t it Robinia Pseudoacacia?

Characteristics of the bark. It’s easier to tell in person and being able to feel it. But this doesn’t have the thick bark and spines. It kind of reminds me of locust or mulberry in certain ways with the color but it’s something different. Here’s locust from the same lot as this treeIMG_2740.thumb.jpeg.c59ac7513c90bf6399e8b9d045c7dd19.jpegIMG_2733.thumb.jpeg.e701e57117c62802fdd0577141a5e604.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s technically a hardwood, but yes very light, so if yours is heavy then no.

Why isn’t it Robinia Pseudoacacia?

Also you can just see how different the heartwood and sapwood are and color

Looks abit like Osage orange?

See the pic in the link:

image.png.87041a7ae6c67e1d617ad29c7d9672a5.png

WWW.OSAGEORANGE.COM

Learn more about the efficacy of Osage Orange staves and billets. Contact Osage Bow LLC to purchase your own custom...

Osage is good for  tool & axe handles & was used by the native americians for there tomahawks & bows.

• Like 1