Tree ID

On 03/01/2024 at 13:13, Stere said:

Looks abit like Osage orange?

See the pic in the link:

image.png.87041a7ae6c67e1d617ad29c7d9672a5.png

WWW.OSAGEORANGE.COM

Learn more about the efficacy of Osage Orange staves and billets. Contact Osage Bow LLC to purchase your own custom...

Osage is good for  tool & axe handles & was used by the native americians for there tomahawks & bows.

On 03/01/2024 at 15:45, richyrich said:

I first thought Robinia. Could it be walnut, or not dark enough and too rough?

On 03/01/2024 at 12:45, Mick Dempsey said:

Where are these trees?

I wish it was Osage lol. I’ve gone through three Osage trees since November. Osage is much brighter yellow when you cut it and the bark is darker and different texture. And Osage trees drop hedge apples. That’s why it’s driving me crazy bc I’ve ruled out the usual suspects. It has the yellow inside like Osage, mulberry etc but completely different characteristics in the bark and the way the tree grows altogether.

The bark doesn’t have the dark deep ridges. It’s like a lighter smoother bark. Very pretty tree. They grow straight up and nice healthy branches starting around 15’ up. Since it’s winter I have no leaves or anything to ID it. Thanks for the response

Just now, Kyledavid said:

I wish it was Osage lol. I’ve gone through three Osage trees since November. Osage is much brighter yellow when you cut it and the bark is darker and different texture. And Osage trees drop hedge apples. That’s why it’s driving me crazy bc I’ve ruled out the usual suspects. It has the yellow inside like Osage, mulberry etc but completely different characteristics in the bark and the way the tree grows altogether.

The bark doesn’t have the dark deep ridges. It’s like a lighter smoother bark. Very pretty tree. They grow straight up and nice healthy branches starting around 15’ up. Since it’s winter I have no leaves or anything to ID it. Thanks for the response

Also these trees are in Cincinnati. A business is clearing a large lot in a plaza. In the pic of the trailer with logs and the ones with the thick spines I found out those are walnut and cotton. But the pics I posted at the very top of the yellow heartwood, I’m still trying to ID

On 03/01/2024 at 11:29, Kyledavid said:

Characteristics of the bark. It’s easier to tell in person and being able to feel it. But this doesn’t have the thick bark and spines. It kind of reminds me of locust or mulberry in certain ways with the color but it’s something different. Here’s locust from the same lot as this treeIMG_2740.thumb.jpeg.c59ac7513c90bf6399e8b9d045c7dd19.jpegIMG_2733.thumb.jpeg.e701e57117c62802fdd0577141a5e604.jpeg

I was wrong about this 2nd set of pics. I originally thought they were locust bc the bark but after splitting it I learned a lot of it is cotton, which is disappointing. But some of it on that trailer is walnut I believe. I split some and it’s very blackish like coffee and it split very easily. If it were black locust it should be harder to split I’d imagine, just based on my experience splitting honey locust. I’m still learning. It’s funny, you think you know by looking at a tree and then find out it’s not so simple once you start cutting and splitting. It’s crazy how similar so many of them look 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 15:45, richyrich said:

I first thought Robinia. Could it be walnut, or not dark enough and too rough?

It’s probably harder just going off of pics but yea it’s too light to be walnut. And the bark is way different to be locust. It doesn’t have the thick spines and it’s light colored on the outside instead of the dark deep ridges. It’s different than anything I’ve cut/split. Seems to be a very nice hardwood. Tight rings, nice color and texture. Just wish I knew what it was lol. Being able to feel it in your hands vs pictures it’s much different. 

I did find out the 2nd set of pics is cotton and either walnut or black locust. I’m leaning towards walnut bc it’s so dark inside and splits easy. Not heavy either

IMG_2737.jpeg

IMG_2739.jpeg

• Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 13:13, Stere said:

Looks abit like Osage orange?

See the pic in the link:

image.png.87041a7ae6c67e1d617ad29c7d9672a5.png

WWW.OSAGEORANGE.COM

Learn more about the efficacy of Osage Orange staves and billets. Contact Osage Bow LLC to purchase your own custom...

Osage is good for  tool & axe handles & was used by the native americians for there tomahawks & bows.

Here’s dead osage that I cut down in November 

IMG_2667.jpeg

IMG_2615.jpeg

IMG_2611.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

• Like 1