New shed, 4m span, timber or steel framed?

scbk

Thinking about the possibility of building a shed, maybe 9-10m long, and width of about 4m - clear span, no middle supports.

Probably larch clad sides and a box profile roof.

To do the frame all in timber would need some fairly hefty joists. Or trusses, either bought in or homemade?

How do steel frame kits compare for price and ease of putting it together on your own? Any recommendations for manufacturers that do "off the shelf" kits in what would to them be quite a small size?

Planning, depends what other sheds you have on site and how close to your boundaries. My shed I built in Suffolk was a smidge under 8m by 5m and just under 3m to top of ridge, to keep under planning rules at that time of 40 sq m. Metre high block wall then timber frame to roof plate, timber rafter and purlins, pantile roof

Aslong as you're definitely sure it's all above board, worth asking if you can phone them.

I'm rural but I've had plenty of okay experience with my local council, all above board and legal, but planning, permitted development, prior approval including agricultural, change of use and everything in-between is an expensive PITA.

Edited by GarethM

6 hours ago, scbk said:

Thinking about the possibility of building a shed, maybe 9-10m long, and width of about 4m - clear span, no middle supports.

Probably larch clad sides and a box profile roof.

To do the frame all in timber would need some fairly hefty joists. Or trusses, either bought in or homemade?

How do steel frame kits compare for price and ease of putting it together on your own? Any recommendations for manufacturers that do "off the shelf" kits in what would to them be quite a small size?

Timber shouldn't be a problem at all. I could price this up for you if you want?  

On 29/12/2023 at 18:02, scbk said:

Any recommendations for manufacturers that do "off the shelf" kits in what would to them be quite a small size?

Capital Steel Buildings sell kits for DIY small buildings (and large buildings) made from cold formed steel sections. No experience of dealing with them, but a colleague worked on the development of their automated design and costing software plus automated calculations for Building Standards approvals, and I recall they seemed a fairly progressive company, really pushing to create a quality product. Capital Steel Buildings | Leading Designer and Supplier of Cold Formed Steel Buildings  Based in Scotland as well.

But! Their buildings are designed for metal cladding and not sure how the thin cold formed steel sections would stand up to knocks and abuse in an ‘industrial’ environment? Not sure what you’re proposing to use it for? The sections might be as thin as 1 to 2mm and severe dents could significantly reduce the overall strength and stability. Whereas I guess timber wall studs might well stand up better to occasional impacts.

Andrew

Make your own trusses. Few sticks milled to 8" x 8" and a few hours and span of 6.2m. just need the time to put up on the shed behind in the picture to raise the roof and allow  enough clearance for the tractor and possibly 2 post ramp. Will be sitting on 12" x 12" posts and top plate with 6 x 6 knee braces. IMG20231122112132_01.thumb.jpg.84928aecabb1107ba706230ec642be64.jpgIMG20231122112124.thumb.jpg.5cee8db1d36df25b0a983103c085b1c5.jpgHope it works and is strong enough!! 

Edited by CallumA
  • Like 2

Nice looking trusses. What’s the roof covering, tiles or steel sheeting. Very similar to a King/ queen post truss but without the bottom beam. Where did you get your design from or did you copy from an existing building? Even with large  section posts there’s going to be a tendency for the wall plate to spread without a tie beam. When at a funeral recently I was looking up at a cathedral vaulted roof with larger span trusses than yours but the walls had the advantage of large section stone buttresses and flying buttresses?