That was eventful…

eggsarascal

Bought a 17 plate Transit today, not long got it back to the unit when the police turn up, arrested me on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle, hand over the paperwork and after some, a lot, of questions they de-arrested me and on their merry way. No explanation, nothing! 

In part I think I should leave it, but it’s left me fuming. Take it up, or leave it to be?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Are you actually going to gain anything by taking it up?

Probably not, so there’s the answer, right?

It’s just fecked me off that the police can come here with allegations of theft, arrest me, then when I’ve produced the paperwork they can just leave as if nothing happened.

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Probably not, so there’s the answer, right?

It’s just fecked me off that the police can come here with allegations of theft, arrest me, then when I’ve produced the paperwork they can just leave as if nothing happened.

What information/evidence did they have to arrest you in the first place?

Just now, 5thelement said:

What information/evidence did they have to arrest you in the first place?

Suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle was all they came up with, the van had been in a light accident and recovered by a company, then sold on to me via the recovery company, all paperwork my end is in place.  This is the damage.

E2470367-FD82-421B-8861-A0B33008C8C7.jpeg

Had a few incidents with Police but ultimately I always end up thinking it hasn't really inconvenienced me and if the boot was on the other foot I'd be glad.

Got a new Ifor once and was pulling out mates paddock at night after splitting logs in a shed, was pulled over and it took a while to prove to them, if I'd lost the trailer I'd have been so chuffed the culprits were stopped like that.

Said the same to a copper once, late at night coming home from a farm with the quad on a trailer. I was stopped 4 times in less than an hour because "no-one tows a quad at the witching hour". The last one was very apologetic but I thought I'd rather spend ten minutes to account for myself if it keeps my stuff safe.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Had a few incidents with Police but ultimately I always end up thinking it hasn't really inconvenienced me and if the boot was on the other foot I'd be glad.

Got a new Ifor once and was pulling out mates paddock at night after splitting logs in a shed, was pulled over and it took a while to prove to them, if I'd lost the trailer I'd have been so chuffed the culprits were stopped like that.

Said the same to a copper once, late at night coming home from a farm with the quad on a trailer. I was stopped 4 times in less than an hour because "no-one tows a quad at the witching hour". The last one was very apologetic but I thought I'd rather spend ten minutes to account for myself if it keeps my stuff safe.

I’m not sure how you judge inconvenience, taking over a hour of my day accusing me of theft is an inconvenience. This is a legit accident damaged van that I paid for by bank transfer, when that was proven the police de-arrested me and fecked off. I’m not best pleased, Doug.

12 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I’ve had similar - been stopped with a sheep trailer outside my yard in the dark before now, I was really pleased they were taking an interest tbh. There’s a really proactive rural crime team in our area (which makes a change from 3 or so years ago when there was nothing!) - they go all over the country arresting people for crime committed in Cheshire which is great!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I’m not sure how you judge inconvenience, taking over a hour of my day accusing me of theft is an inconvenience. This is a legit accident damaged van that I paid for by bank transfer, when that was proven the police de-arrested me and fecked off. I’m not best pleased, Doug.

Were they watching your yard, or where the van was collected from, or is there a tracker on it, or is it registered as stolen for some reason and has tripped ANPR cameras? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Were they watching your yard, or where the van was collected from, or is there a tracker on it, or is it registered as stolen for some reason and has tripped ANPR cameras? 

As I’m sure you’re aware I’ve not long been in this yard but I’ve no reason to believe it’s being watched. It was all bizarre, get the van collected, within a few hours the police were here telling me the van was stolen,!it isn’t, I showed them the paperwork and they contacted the company that recovered/sold it to me.