Tape measures - recommend me one

Will C

I'd like to recommend this one.

I've suddenly realised that of all the tape measures I've bought and destroyed whilst building my house, mostly Stanley but a few other brands too, this one that I've had for well over 6 years now has withstood all the same abuse but just keeps ticking on. 

20231126_135929.thumb.jpg.864b8854830d56e44bfdec80b9404288.jpg

One thing I like about it is that it is by default an outy instead of an inny, so it's a push button to retract rather than to hold in place.

One thing that other people might not like, because it was bought in France, is that it only speaks metric, so anyone who prefers to measure in barleycorns or cubits or any other non-sensical Brexit-voting units of longness will have something to whinge about, which is always a good thing.

20231126_140121.thumb.jpg.148d815f018bc2271622e2937cdf4e63.jpg

I've got the unravelled guts of a few other tapes sat tucked away in the shed that I intend to mount into a workbench or along the scrapwood storage pile one day, but I suspect this Fischer won't be joining them any time soon. Good tape.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, peds said:

so anyone who prefers to measure in barleycorns or cubits or any other non-sensical Brexit-voting units of longness will have something to whinge about, which is always a good thing.

You are so unreasonable, only mentioning the elitist non metric units. What about the half miller's thumb and the weaver's bottom?

• Haha 1

Measuring about 3.5cm, the half miller's thumb would rack up just over 228 on a standard 8m tape, or 228 ha'mills, 3 fins, to use the vernacular. 

I'm afraid I've lost my conversion table for the average weaver's bottom, but I think it varies with the length of their piece of string anyway. 

• Haha 1

I had Draoer measure given to me by a company I buy some bits from 5-6 years ago, still going strong. The then Mrs Egg called in there to grab me a few things and one of the lads behind the counter gave here another tape measure and said give this to Egg so I ended up with two. Considering the conditions I used them in I’m amazed they’ve lasted.

• Like 1

I have a few tape measures which only show metric, I would never buy one though.

Picked up what looked like a decent measure once in a store, put it back down as soon as I saw it was metric only. I have nothing against metric at all and use it more than imperial but I still need both on there.

I like the Stanley 8m Tylon tape measures, buy them in packs of two when on offer. Also have some Milwaukee tapes too that are quite nice to use. I think the oldest one I have is a B&Q own brand more than 10 years old, it is the least used which is why it has lasted the longest.

Edit: they are DeWalt not Milwaukee which is just as well as I can't spell that.

Edited by Peasgood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, peds said:

I'm afraid I've lost my conversion table for the average weaver's bottom, but I think it varies with the length of their piece of string anyway. 

It is probably also related to how many years they have spent at the loom, and how much it has affected their bottom.