This years log prices

Keef

Prices are always higher in garden centres because they're aiming for the occasional user but log prices are definitely up this year. 

All costs have gone up but unprocessed timber us up 50% in the last 12-18 months after probably 10 years of only small increases so that's the biggest driver.

• Like 1

One of my customers paid 180 for a cube of silver birch delivered and stacked while I was cutting her hedges. Her next load came from me at 75 for a heaped big builders bag so about .8m roughly of 90% mixed oak, cherry, syc, ash etc with a few softwood mixed in to get it going. Next order already in 👍

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Prices for firewood here are generally really cheap. This seller on Marketplace is doing 2 year seasoned birch for just under £50/cube. Minimum order 5 cube, free delivery on 10 cube. 

I did my own firewood this year, but I'll just buy it in for next year. It's not worth doing it yourself for that price.

Product photo of 2021 Skära för två år sedan björkved / granved / bokved / lövved / blandved i säckar på pallar med hemtransport

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Big J said:

Prices for firewood here are generally really cheap. This seller on Marketplace is doing 2 year seasoned birch for just under £50/cube. Minimum order 5 cube, free delivery on 10 cube. 

I did my own firewood this year, but I'll just buy it in for next year. It's not worth doing it yourself for that price.

Product photo of 2021 Skära för två år sedan björkved / granved / bokved / lövved / blandved i säckar på pallar med hemtransport

I imagine it is, millions of acres of birch, easy to process, regenerates while your back is turned.

Or am I wrong?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I imagine it is, millions of acres of birch, easy to process, regenerates while your back is turned.

Or am I wrong?

Whilst it's favoured as a firewood species, it's regarded as a weed in forestry. It's never planted, and always regenerates in clearfells, meaning that it has to be cleared several times before the first thinning with clearing saws (to make way for the spruce and pine). 

It grows very straight and clean due to the fairly minimal wind and consistently sunny summers. 

I'm not really bothered what I burn personally. I prefer a mix.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big J said:

Whilst it's favoured as a firewood species, it's regarded as a weed in forestry. It's never planted, and always regenerates in clearfells, meaning that it has to be cleared several times before the first thinning with clearing saws (to make way for the spruce and pine). 

It grows very straight and clean due to the fairly minimal wind and consistently sunny summers. 

I'm not really bothered what I burn personally. I prefer a mix.

Is it not milled or peeled for plywood?  Surely Scandinavian furniture is renowned for using birch? 

I understand that birch plywood here in the UK is really pricey.