Getting wood tipped

Corvette Rich

51 minutes ago, Corvette Rich said:

Hi all,

Is there any way of knowing when trees are being felled in the local area, such as ash die back work?
I have registered as a tip site but not had a single call. Assuming that people can see my site ok…

You could try having a drive around after a storm or some high winds. You'll have a greater chance of seeing tree work going on then.

When the tip site directory was set up the average price of timber at road side would of been around £35 a ton and it’s currently around £65.. 

The idea of the directory was to make things easier for those firms that did not have space for timber and did not want to process it or where working too far from base and it wasn’t viable to spend time bringing it back and more profitable to go to the next site ASAP.

This still may be the case in some instances but I think you have to be aware that if some one drops you off two tonne of ash that is worth potentially around £120 before it’s even sold as logs, despite the governments efforts to lock down the sales of firewood there is a huge demand for it to beat energy cost in the cost of living crises… it may well be worth offering a small insentive on your advert like say £30 a transit load for every one tipped , even if it’s soft wood or poplar it would be more worth while than nothing … offer more if you can , I was getting payed £20 a load 20 years back for ash.. any way I think a lot of folk are expecting a lot especially in certain more rural areas for a load of timber to turn up and be kept warm for free. 

• Like 12

As Matty said and I have found lots more folk keeping the logs from jobs, even if they don't use it, their brother, uncle, neighbour... etc have asked for it.

I will drop conifer off for free or beer money. Decent hardwood I would pass on to folk who help me out or sell a transit load for sensible money.

• Like 3

Yup, the tip site is a good tool, as mentioned above, generally those who often work in the area have sorted out what to do with the waste. Those who only occasionally work in the area need somewhere to tip.. so what you can get depends very much on who is working locally.

Chainsaws however are hard to hide once they are running, you can hear them, and a lunchtime walk around (at least here) 1 day a month I can hear one going - suppose that would be within 1 mile of the house - if you aren't disturbing the work a quiet word can get you results.

The other option is to talk to the local tree surgeons directly, they might make a note of where you are and if your house is between their job and their regular tip they might detour to you - especially on a big job with more than 1 truck load of logs to take away (if you save 1/2 hour round trip it might be worth it, they can do the job and finish early for the day).

It works if what you have benefits them as well and if what you have is a nice bottle of wine or 2, a few beers or a handful of fivers then so be it.

• Like 2

There’s an increasing amount of tip sites offering a financial incentive and they are differentiated from free tip sites by a different coloured map marker. Check the map to see if the ones around you are free or paying sites. If they are the latter then you are going to be at the bottom of the pile as far as getting a delivery goes 

• Like 2

You could of course just try getting in contact with local companies.

Don't ask for something for free, don't be fussy about what type/shape of wood you get and you stand a chance at least.  (All dry wood burns and on a wood burner it is hot enough to get a complete burn so no worries about tar from softwoods).

I get the majority of my supply this way after making contact a few years ago and after a few tries.  Having said that there is less wood available now than there was but if you never make contact you will never know.

• Like 3

I've been registered on the tip site for about 2 years, out of the blue today a get a call from someone working locally and wanted to tip some ash. within an hour I had over a ton of ash dropped on the drive for £30, so it does work if you are lucky. as already said a bit of payment too does help.

• Like 5