Top handle chainsaws

Treedude1987

2511 is a great little saw. Not owned a 151 but it would be hard to beat the echo, its true the plastic is softer, but it's not badly put together and they are a joy to use. Mine is from 2017, so i think the older, carb trouble prone model. It has never skipped a beat for me although it is on its third or fourth recoil. That's mostly my fault though. I'm a heavy handed animal and I break things.

The MS151 has a typical "Stihl" feel about it and the Echo is typically Japanese.

The Echo did have some running issues on idle when vertical but managed to get a fix on that.

The Stihl is less "finicky" than the Echo, both are manufactured relatively well, someone mentioned the air filter is better on the Echo but the MS151 does have a nylon mesh air filter available which many are not aware of.

Power.....both will benefit from a little work on the muffler leaving you with nice saws...but avoid these silly big pipe mufflers.

The Stihl is typically German, the Echo is typically Japanese....take your pick.

I would suggest the echo 2500- the battery one.

I think it's the one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought. 

It cuts quick and can handle the whole bar in and keep cutting. 

Light, easy to start, quiet, amazing ergonomics. A harness clip that puts huskys to shame.

I have it with 2 batteries and that's always been OK. It has a fast charger anyway if you have access to a plug.

On the back of having a go on mine 4 others have now bought one. It does impress

The lack of having to pull start is the top Trump for me on all climbing saws now, but particularly ones such as this used for pruning. No faffing trying to start a saw which has cooled down whilst you've been moving around and you only realise it needs choke after the 3rd pull in an awkward position...

Edited by Ledburyjosh

11 hours ago, Ledburyjosh said:

The lack of having to pull start is the top Trump for me on all climbing saws now, but particularly ones such as this used for pruning.

This. If I'd realised how much I'd use the battery toppers I think I'd have stumped up the extra for the Echo first.

It depends what work you do a lot of though, I seem to do loads of small reductions and hedge work, so no desire for the extra weight and cutting speed of the Husky 540i. Once it gets to blocking down I just switch to petrol 201.

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

This. If I'd realised how much I'd use the battery toppers I think I'd have stumped up the extra for the Echo first.

It depends what work you do a lot of though, I seem to do loads of small reductions and hedge work, so no desire for the extra weight and cutting speed of the Husky 540i. Once it gets to blocking down I just switch to petrol 201.

I'm not into battery 🔋 powered chainsaws bro. I've used them before and they are extremely lack luster. Especially doing large Dismantles I do on a daily basis. They absolutely eat through batteries like no tomorrow. But thank you for your input/comment...

• Like 1