Top handle chainsaws

Treedude1987

Alright people, I'm buying a new top handle.

Which do you think is the better saw, I'm tempted in Stihl ms-151 and Echo CS-2511tes. I know the Stihl is 23.6cc.

Echo is 25cc, I do like the look of the echo. But how reliable are they compared to the Stihl?.

I'd be glad for feedback 😃.

Cheers

Ben

I have both and use them mostly for pruning. Bought the 151T not too long ago. Echo is smaller in size, the plastic and overrall build seems more flimsy in my opinion. Rear half of the side cover (exhaust side) is prone to cracking with the result of ruined protective gear/harness 🤬.. When it comes to power, they feel similar and the same can be said for handling. 151T is larger in dimensions, but I don't find it cumbersome in use vs the 2511t. Air filter on the Stihl doesn't pack up as quickly as the Echo does.

Both of mine run 1/4", 1.1mm.

• Like 1

I had a MS 190T in the past, never had 150T, but a mate has one. He loves it, but did have the metal loop you attached the strop to fail once. I have the Echo 2511 and I love it. Yes the plastic mentioned can fail, and the air filter does not like heavy rain. I have just converted it to the Panther bar and slimline chain. The performance is amazing for such a small saw.

The 2511 dicks all over the stihl. Plastics are fine, any top handle will break its exhaust cover,  nature of the the beast.

The echo is better designed, has a way better air filter, is lighter smaller and noticeably more power. 

The downside is that to get the best out of it you have to replace the bar and chain with the stihl version straight away. 

The earlier models had a few teething issues, the newer ones are bang on.

Any saw will only be as good as the maintenance that goes into it though.

• Like 4

I liked the stihl, even brought a second when the first died, then when the 2nd died I got the echo

fantastic saw! 

it’s what stihl should have produced.

get the tesc model and it’ll come with a narrow bar and chain, which as joe said is a must.
 99%sure it’s just a rebranded sugihara bar. 

11 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

I liked the stihl, even brought a second when the first died, then when the 2nd died I got the echo

fantastic saw! 

it’s what stihl should have produced.

get the tesc model and it’ll come with a narrow bar and chain, which as joe said is a must.
 99%sure it’s just a rebranded sugihara bar. 

I think you might actually be wrong there, its a rebranded Tsumara i think, which a) is potentially better & b) definitely makes me a virgin for knowing it, if true.