Proper old school pubs

eggsarascal

20 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

If the authorities didn’t keep moving people on! Why not leave people alone if they are no problem and leave no mess. Rural pubs (that have car parking space) are quiet at this time of year, and after New Year) they could do with the extra revenue and full time van folk could do with somewhere to park through the winter months, but no, keep moving people on while in a housing crisis rather than approve pubs, and any other venues that have space to cover winter?

Because its human nature to start putting down some form of roots. Mini-ghettos will spring up all over the place and without the infrastructure to deal with human waste and produced waste/rubbish there will be environmental and health issues within a fairly short period of time. I know in your rose tinted la la land viewpoint this will not and does not happen, but thankfully the authorities make that decision on this matter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

If the authorities didn’t keep moving people on! Why not leave people alone if they are no problem and leave no mess. Rural pubs (that have car parking space) are quiet at this time of year, and after New Year) they could do with the extra revenue and full time van folk could do with somewhere to park through the winter months, but no, keep moving people on while in a housing crisis rather than approve pubs, and any other venues that have space to cover winter?

Don't they just move them along only if they are asked to, with the landowners permission they can stay (so long as the landowner has the relevant permissions and facilities in place for a longer term stop - water, refuse, toilets and so on)

On 11/10/2023 at 15:20, Steven P said:

Don't they just move them along only if they are asked to, with the landowners permission they can stay (so long as the landowner has the relevant permissions and facilities in place for a longer term stop - water, refuse, toilets and so on)

Unfortunately not, I got moved on earlier in the year, I was on a smallholding with consent from the lady who owns it, in fact she wanted me there as a bit of extra security. The council got wind of me being there and kicked off, they didn’t say much to me but they served notice on her to get me off. Bully boy tactics by the authorities, threatening her with all sorts of nonsense that never would have stood up in court, alas her bottle went so I left to save her stressing. I wish they had served notice on me, I’d have had my day in court and possibly got retrospective PP. there was enough livestock there to warrant having someone on site full time. Note: horses don’t count as livestock according to the law. It just goes to show how skewed the law is, if travellers pull on Tesco car park the council serve notice on them, not Tesco, but it’s the other way round if you can’t claim being an ethnic minority.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 15:12, trigger_andy said:

Because its human nature to start putting down some form of roots. Mini-ghettos will spring up all over the place and without the infrastructure to deal with human waste and produced waste/rubbish there will be environmental and health issues within a fairly short period of time. I know in your rose tinted la la land viewpoint this will not and does not happen, but thankfully the authorities make that decision on this matter. 

It works well In the summer months, pubs, garden centres, vineyards, garden centres, all sorts of place let vaners stay a night or two, many turn a blind eye if you want to stay for a month, these ghettos you talk of I’ve seen but they are few and far between, most camps of a small size I’ve pulled on are well kept places.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

It works well In the summer months, pubs, garden centres, vineyards, garden centres, all sorts of place let vaners stay a night or two, many turn a blind eye if you want to stay for a month, these ghettos you talk of I’ve seen but they are few and far between, most camps of a small size I’ve pulled on are well kept places.

We have been recommended this book for places to stop short term (not got it yet so can’t comment)

WWW.BRITSTOPS.COM

Motorhome Camping at farms shops, pubs & vineyards, and other fantastic locations for one night — free of charge!

8 hours ago, Will C said:

We have been recommended this book for places to stop short term (not got it yet so can’t comment)

WWW.BRITSTOPS.COM

Motorhome Camping at farms shops, pubs & vineyards, and other fantastic locations for one night — free of charge!

Yeah, Britstops, search4sites, park4night are all good apps for park-ups for a night or two. My point is, at this time of year these places should be allowed to let people stay longer, more skewed law. Do we see travellers at the side of the road in winter, do we feck, because they have official places to pull onto, on the other hand, if you or I want somewhere to pull in winter it’s every man for himself,

I get the sentiment. The idea of being able to pitch up and stay any where without being moved on.

But if there weren't rules then we'd be like the US and have large populations living in all these scenic places.

EDITION.CNN.COM

Early one recent Friday morning, sanitation workers, homeless-outreach workers and LAPD officers arrived on a little street in the west of Los Angeles. Jasmine Avenue is lined with...

I don''t think we do too bad really.

• Like 1

Unfortunately people who claim they only want to park-up or "camp", often do as Andy says and establish "roots", then if left alone for a few years, claim, most vocerifiously that they live there, and demand planning permission to build a proper home.

For them and their brood.

same old same old.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Unfortunately people who claim they only want to park-up or "camp", often do as Andy says and establish "roots", then if left alone for a few years, claim, most vocerifiously that they live there, and demand planning permission to build a proper home.

For them and their brood.

same old same old.

Tell me where you have seen this, we aren’t talking about the travelling community, there are different rules for them. When was the last time you actually saw a group of, for want of a better phrase, vanlifers settle and get PP?

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Tell me where you have seen this, we aren’t talking about the travelling community, there are different rules for them. When was the last time you actually saw a group of, for want of a better phrase, vanlifers settle and get PP?

Eggs,

Not a group of "vanifiers", more the New Age Traveller types and their fellow travellers, plus hippy types and actually from reading multiple accounts in the varios press, mostly sob stories from the wannabe housebuilders who chanced their arm and flouted the rules most of the rest of us mostly attempt to abide by.

Crying about how they are not allowed to build a proper house where they live.

like in an abandoned cricket pavalion in one case,

Another was a so-called animal rescue "charity" where the person was crying that of course they needed to live on the greenfield site where they looked after the animals.

Nevermind the horsey types with "shelters" that  become habitable shacks, that then get lived in, "only for the foaling", and then next thing they are def-facto living there, and demand full PP.

etc

etc

etc

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1