Cheap air compressors and pressure washers

Donnie

I'm on the hunt for a new compressor for the garage it'll be used for blowing out saws and tires if I'm ever a bit low. Don't want to spend a hell of a lot of money on this but wondering if any of you have used the little Stanley 24L compressor? 

As for pressure washers I don't mind spending all right money on one. Heard those Karchers are good? Be used for the car and van that's all. 

I've got a 2 horsepower, 50 litre, oiled single cylinder in the shed and it's barely big enough. Runs constantly and drops pressure while blowing stuff out, saws, boots, trousers, helmet etc. Even more annoying when it's underpowering an impact wrench. I'd consider a 50 litre twin cylinder if I was tight on space but bigger if at all possible. Don't consider an oilless model. They break.

• Like 3

I used a compressor daily for 7 years to do exactly what you want - pretty low spec stuff. The compressor I had cost be £45 and was a bit of a bargain, nothing flash but does the job. Sure, there are loads out there that are quieter, better made but what is your budget, a lot always hinges on that.....hats off that you are actually using this on your saws...great decision.

The compressor I have is one of those generic ones that everyone re brands as their own but is a 24L cheapo special, loads made and pretty reliable and if you want to run a high consumption tool like a big rattle gun, fit a BIG hose rather than a widdly one you may fit to an airline. 

My first one was a damn more expensive and lasted 1.5 years. This one lasted 3 times that and costed much less.....work that one out. 

This is the sort of thing......

WWW.SGS-ENGINEERING.COM

Introducing NEW Air Compressor from SGS - fitted with a special heavy duty 24 litre air receiver complete with a front mounted integral air hose reel holding 10 metres of PVC braided air...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Pressure washer, I’d go for a secondhand Honda with a decent pump before I’d buy Karcher. Couple of hundred quid should buy a decent little washer for your needs.

This 100%. Anything with a Honda pump will generally be mated to a decent quality pump. Interpump are best but Antonio Reverbi also excellent. You simply cannot get spares for the cheapy models. If I had a quid for every Draper model I’d been asked to fix!

If you are limited to electric then you will get much less pressure, and more importantly flow for your money. . Anything with a circuit board will die on you prematurely. I use a Cleanwell steam cleaner which is basic and excellent- you want the biggest motor you can run on a single phase supply which will give you around 12 litres per minute at a sufficient pressure. 

flow is what cleans, not pressure. you only need enough pressure to lift the dirt and with paintwork you’re best investing in a good snow foam gun and can of TRF as this will do most of the work. Trying to clean paintwork with the highest pressure model you can find is not how it’s done- that’s for cleaning stonework where you actually want to abrade the surface slightly. 

post anything you’re thinking of buying and we’ll give you the lowdown. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spudulike said:

I used a compressor daily for 7 years to do exactly what you want - pretty low spec stuff. The compressor I had cost be £45 and was a bit of a bargain, nothing flash but does the job. Sure, there are loads out there that are quieter, better made but what is your budget, a lot always hinges on that.....hats off that you are actually using this on your saws...great decision.

The compressor I have is one of those generic ones that everyone re brands as their own but is a 24L cheapo special, loads made and pretty reliable and if you want to run a high consumption tool like a big rattle gun, fit a BIG hose rather than a widdly one you may fit to an airline. 

My first one was a damn more expensive and lasted 1.5 years. This one lasted 3 times that and costed much less.....work that one out. 

WWW.SGS-ENGINEERING.COM

Introducing NEW Air Compressor from SGS - fitted with a special heavy duty 24 litre air receiver complete with a front mounted integral air hose reel holding 10 metres of PVC braided air...

This design is excellent, I’ve had over a decade out of one. I still have an old Wolf branded one, from back in the day. If you’re feeling mechanically sympathetic you can change the oil and air filters on it to prolong its life. 

My current workshop model is a belt driven SGS 90 litre. Excellent machine, belt drive is quieter and also means it runs to a higher pressure. So more air stored overall for the same size cylinder once you regulate the output via the built in manifold. 

Avoid Stanley, you’re paying for a name which isn’t worth a wank anyway. 

I wouldn’t waste my time with an air impact wrench, it will be outclassed by even the cheaper battery guns out there these days!

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, spudulike said:

WWW.SGS-ENGINEERING.COM

That's exactly the one I was looking at. 75 quid or so is perfect. It's only gonna be used a couple times a week let's be serious and as for air guns. I wouldn't buy one

Cheers for the info. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spudulike said:

WWW.SGS-ENGINEERING.COM

I have one similar to that , was a bit more money but its perfect for me . Regards the pressure washer I have a Nilfisk which I chose over a Karcher because it has a metal pump rather than a plastic one .

• Like 1