******** September and I have the fire on

Steven P

12 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Not all about thermometer temps, it's the humidity as well. Cool damp air does no good for a body or a building, or aught in it.

Definitely. I now understand why older people say the cold and damp does not help their joints. I used to think it was nonsense, until I got older😂

Just lit mine. 

We had 3c yesterday morning at 06:30 and 5c this morning. Yesterday got up to about 17-18c and today is to be 21c, but it felt like the right time to wang it on. Immediate, lovely warmth :D

Looking at the long range forecast, there is a slow slide in temperatures to highs of 13-14c in two weeks time. Even that is a bit on the warm side for this time of year here. 

23 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Been lighting my wood burner most evenings for a week or two.  Regretted it last night though - 25 degrees in my lounge, and 23 in the bedrooms.  Way too warm for comfort.

It's so easy to do when it's fairly mild outside! Two or three logs too many and you're cooked.

We're going to put up a lined curtain across the foot of the stairs (which is at one end of the kitchen. The stove is 15ft away) as too much heat goes upstairs and even when it's well below freezing outside, it can be far too warm in the bedrooms.

We've been having a fire every night.  We'll put it on earlier and earlier in the day until the biomass heating goes on in October and then slacken off until it gets really cold. Lightening the fire also allows me to confirm that I've swept the flue properly, its a big old house and the flue has a bend in it that makes the job pretty challenging and hard work.  I've had three sessions so far (bottom and top with increasingly sized brushes) and I'm still not 100% satisfied.