The Arbalk morning register!

Stephen Blair

7 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Been in the wars?

Yep.

Using a combiladder yesterday to prune 3 small maples with secateurs and loppers. Was on a flower border that was firm, we were not even leaving footprints, ground was surprisingly firm. The one pair of feet was on tarmac and the other pair, the ones with the spreader bat across them. I was just finishing that section of the crown, not even leaning out in any direction, when in horrible slo mo I realised the spreader bar was sinking in on one side, and I knew I would have a fall. My feet were about 7 feet above ground. I grabbed a branch that I knew would not take my weight but it did pull me sideways a bit, but not enough to avoid falling onto the ladder. My shins hit it that hard I bent one of the side rails a bit and it is now distorted ie scrap. I fell to my left onto the soil and banged my left shoulder quite hard. 

Nothing (of me) broken,  just very limited shoulder movement, bruised shins and various muscles pulled.

I have always said ladders just want to throw you off. Rope and harness or MEWP any day please.

Could have been so much worse so easily. Hopefully back at work next week.

Stay safe everyone. Thanks for asking Doug.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

5 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Yep.

Using a combiladder yesterday to prune 3 small maples with secateurs and loppers. Was on a flower border that was firm, we were not even leaving footprints, ground was surprisingly firm. The one pair of feet was on tarmac and the other pair, the ones with the spreader bat across them. I was just finishing that section of the crown, not even leaning out in any direction, when in horrible slo mo I realised the spreader bar was sinking in on one side, and I knew I would have a fall. My feet were about 7 feet above ground. I grabbed a branch that I knew would not take my weight but it did pull me sideways a bit, but not enough to avoid falling onto the ladder. My shins hit it that hard I bent one of the side rails a bit and it is now distorted ie scrap. I fell to my left onto the soil and banged my left shoulder quite hard. 

Nothing (of me) broken,  just very limited shoulder movement, bruised shins and various muscles pulled.

I have always said ladders just want to throw you off. Rope and harness or MEWP any day please.

Could have been so much worse so easily. Hopefully back at work next week.

Stay safe everyone. Thanks for asking Doug.

Does sound bloody painful, but lucky not to break anything (apart from ladders!).

I've probably said before but my worst fall was from the 2nd rung of a set of those ladders, foot slipped through the rung and I went backwards landing on my head. Wasn't right for days, my mate still says I've never recovered consciousness.

Hope you mend quick Maybe.

• Like 1