Why are Horticultural professionals SO devalued?

Trailoftears

It amuses me that the Arborists on here obviously see themselves as the 'aristocracy' of the Horticultural World given their extremely 'narrow' knowledge of the Environment,but of course-I 'get' that.If you've invested in tens of thousands of pounds in various heavy equipment and gain many contracts both privately and re: local authorities particuraly given the the ash problems-which one presumes is all good for Arboriculturists.However,I find it really distasteful that they seem to regard landscapers as a 'lower' form of life-particularly given landscapers breadth of environmental knowledge puts most 'tree cutters' to shame-am I being provocative?Damn right! 😁

• Haha 1

Another thing (he says warming to his theme),I considered this when I was younger-and it sounded (vaguely) attractive at the time.The deal?You go and work for some bucolic overweight elderly Tory with a large Estate but a small wallet,in return you get a small,probably damp hovel on his estate with obv.a smaller wage given your 'free' house.All very well until you fall out of one of his trees/become ill.Then not only do you lose your job,but also your home with your wife and kids possibly,who said serfdom is Dead!?

• Like 1

On 24/08/2023 at 08:01, Mike Hill said:

Mick covered it.

If you stopped 100 folk in the street,95 of them could do your job.Its common sense and low risk.

That's why the pay is low.

On the other end of the scale crew on a Red crab boat in the Arctic Ocean make about £5000 a week over a two month season. Common sense job but very high risk.

The latter option is available to you after just a one week course and a medical certificate. Time for a change mate?

So most people on the street could apply herbicide accurately and safely,grow vegetables commercially and efficientally-and organically too plus maintain lawn/improve turf areas as well,design and plant out landscape schemes on a large scale etc?You must meet a lot of skilled people on the streets you walk thru tbh 🤔

7 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

So most people on the street could apply herbicide accurately and safely,grow vegetables commercially and efficientally-and organically too plus maintain lawn/improve turf areas as well,design and plant out landscape schemes on a large scale etc?You must meet a lot of skilled people on the streets you walk thru tbh 🤔

Are you not confusing Agriculture and Horticulture?

You sound like you need a break,Tesco's might be interested in your skills? You could hover around the fruit and veg telling everyone how hard they are to grow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2